Saturday, 22 March 2008

Mummi, how I miss thee!

It really sucks to not have any grandparents. My grandfathers were the first ones to go. My paternal grandfather I didn't even get to meet. My maternal grandfather passed away when I was 17. My grandmothers managed to hang around for a good while after their respective husbands left this planet. When their time came, they left behind many a lifetime's worth of memories and treasures. This is me, sporting my grandmothers' old stuff, pretending to still smell their scent in these items.

Laimi's Askel-boots

Helvi's jacket; I think it is tailor-made.

Helvi's Piretta-coat



Laimi's red Femitex-coat

6 comments:

alice said...

they had amazing taste. The coats look beautiful on you.

Jocelyn said...

I love, love, love the first outfit. If I could copy it exactly in my size, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

You inherited an amazing sense of style. :)

Vasiliisa said...

What great treasures! Neither of my grannies was into fashion. And they were much shorter and stubbier than me, anyway. So I only got a few scarves.

puf! said...

i think the coat is very stylish

The Waves said...

Hey all, thanks for your comments. The funny thing is that neither of my grandmoms was that much into fashion. Laimi took care of her look to a T with a typical Pohjanmaa attitude ("whatever you do, you must do well and with pride" - her hair was always impeccable), but she never went shopping for clothes, or she never spoke about style. She had a couple of dresses for "special occasions", but that was it. I never realised that she had such beautiful things. The same goes for Helvi, even more so. I remember her as a very modest, very down-to-earth person, who roamed the forests picking blueberries in her tracksuit and wellies. I guess it is true when they say to not judge a book by its cover...

Unicorns Have Whiskers said...

I'm so sentimental about mom's clothes now.. I took a few of hers, but my grandma who was stylish was always bigger than me, so I'll stick with a hat and some jewellery.. My sis can raid her closet. This is the first time I'm ever like that with clothes, all emotional about THINGS. Wanting to wear something that was hers.. so I can feel her close. The opposite also happened with some stuff I wore to the hospital the week that she died.. I can't wear them anymore, but I'm not sure I want to get rid of them either..