Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Going with a trend

I am not a huge fan of "trends". I used to buy the season's first issues of Vogue and Elle because of their trend listings, and to some degree, I am rather ashamed to admit, I used to follow the trends as well. I am sure I still get influenced by that sort of stuff, only because I tend to purchase way too many fashion magazines.

I have always liked floral prints. This season, flowers seem to be everywhere. Balenciaga, Cavalli, Dries Van Noten, you name it. It is such an obvious trend that I feel like a fool wearing florals, not to mention mixing floral prints. The funny thing is that I would do it even if it wasn't for the trend. I would do it every season. What I am essentially trying to say is that I hate looking like a fashion victim. Well, I will still wear my florals, on or off trend.






4 comments:

Elena said...

I feel angry when something I like becomes a trend, maybe because I think I am different and original (ha, ha), and I don´t want people to think that I´m just following the trend. We will suffer this year with floral prints! I love them too.

I like your blog because the things you buy are really cheap (and that's a good point) and because you question the fact of collecting clothes (and you feel guilty sometimes!). Cheers!

dependedeldia said...

You always look fantastic with great and cheap clothes, in Mallorca we ca not find this second hand things. Adeu!!

Vasiliisa said...

I try to not let the trends dictate... Which means I won't start or stop wearing something because it's trendy. Trying to deliberately avoid trends would require knowing them quite well, which is a bit ironic... So I don't bother with too much avoiding. IN fact when trends are new they can be inspiring, too. Like florals: it's a theme with millions of variations. Eventually one does get bored of seeing the same stuff everywhere, so megatrends are a bit lame.

The Waves said...

elena: oh well, we will just have to stick with the florals and do something original with them... There's no way I am giving up my florals! :-D

dependedeldia: perhaps you just haven't found the right places to find second hand clothes in Mallorca..? I thought flea markets and second hand stores were universal..!

vasiliisa: very true, it takes one to know the trends before you can avoid them. I don't intentionally avoid trends, I just get frustrated by them sometimes...