Saturday, 26 April 2008

Not the greatest of Saturdays


I woke up at 9.58 am this morning, to a phone call from work. Just the thing one loves when it's one's first day off in about nine days! That particular phone call ended up being nothing, just some confusion about work shifts, but I got a more serious call later on.

I had just had breakfast when my sister called and told me that my mom had been taken to the hospital, ambulance and all. She had fallen over at the parking lot of the local supermarket, at one of those spots where they have those big metal rails on the ground, for shopping trollies. (If we lived in the United States, we could probably sue Lidl.) She was lucky because she didn't hit her head or anything, but she fell on her wrist (and broke it) and split her knee cap. It could have been a lot worse, of course, but hey, it's my mom and I don't want anything bad to happen to her. Ever.

I went to see her in the hospital, and she was in decent spirits considering the circumstances. I guess she will have surgery on her knee tomorrow, and will have two casts (one on the wrist and one on her leg) for a long long time. So no, it hasn't been a great day off. I missed the Helsinki wardrobe_remix clothing swap, plus I didn't get to do any of the stuff that I had planned for today.

6 comments:

Ranna said...

That's awful!
I hope your mother gets well soon.

Sanna said...

Oh, so sorry to hear about your mum. I hope she's back on her feet soon. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mother, but really love your beautiful little blog. Thank you for spending the time to care about and share about small moments...

e

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom, Waves. As you noted, it could have been much worse, but still...I think there must be nothing harder in life than knowing that your child, or your Mother is injured or ill. These are the people you love best, and the ones you want always to be well, and safe. I hope her convalescence is short, and her recovery complete. Best of thoughts for your family, sincerely, Chris R.

Laura said...

Outsch, I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. My granny was brought into a hospital last year, too. It wasn't the most serious case, but I felt really ill during her stay there. Hopefully your mom will be better soon.

The Waves said...

Thanks, everyone, for caring. It will take a while before my mom gets back on her feet but she is (hopefully) already on her way to recovery...