Friday, 25 April 2008

Short history of hair


About a year ago, my hairdresser asked me to model for the big chain of hair salons she works for. Back then, I looked like this:



Since then, my hair has been a huge struggle. Slowly but surely, the platinum blond started going yellowish, and further along the road, greenish. Silver shampoo didn't help. My hair was practically dead from the bleach.

About six months ago my hairdresser tried to save the hair I had by dyeing it light-brown. My roots looked fab, but the previously-platinum part of the hair didn't suck in enough dye and turned sort of brown, but with a strange yellowy tint. We ended up high-lighting my hair with bright blond to cover the damage, and hoped that it would look decent. Well, the whole high-lights thing hasn't exactly been working out. The high-lighted bits have been turning first yellow, then green for a while now.

Fast-forward to today. Me and my hairdresser decided that we can't go for any more high-lights, because they will turn green sooner or later. We chose a little reddish brown, and hoped for the best. The outcome: fantastic fudge colour roots, with awful britle yellowish rest of the hair. I had two options: A) have it dyed again, and again, and again, and hope for the best each time, or B) have it cut off. Guess which one I chose?

Yup, there you have it. I have told a handful of hopeful people along the way that I am growing my hair out, and want to have it long again, but sorry folks, I didn't really have a choice. My hair was in such bad condition that this had to be done if I ever want to have long hair again. It will grow. But for now, I am actually really liking this. I am convinced I heard a girl whisper "Rosemary's Baby" to her friend at Stockmann's. I can't think of a better compliment.

This is what I wore today:

13 comments:

princessmillatwoshoes said...

Pixie cuts are the bomb, and you happened to luck out in that it looks awesome on you!

L-M said...

Aivan ihastuttava tuo uusi tukkasi! Sopii sinulle todella hyvin.

Pidän muutenkin kovasti tyylistäsi ja blogisi tunnelmasta.

Missa said...

SO Mia Farrow... love it!

Vasiliisa said...

The new hair is so awesome!

T said...

the hair looks great. you could even probably go shorter if you(r hairdresser) wanted.

Ranna said...

I totally love that new hair-cut of yours! And you really do look like Mia Farrow quite a bit. :)

Gosh, you really made me miss my old pixie-cut!

hoyan said...

wow, that is an amazing haircut! stunning!

Anonymous said...

I KNEW that you must have modeled at some point! :) The black & white photo is amazing...I soo love your hair here! The haircut looks almost 3 dimensional, and sculpted...I love how the bangs disappear--are tucked in--under the longer side sections. What a beautiful photo....very mysterious and romantic....you have the look of an actress from the European '60s Nouveau Arte films (or even of a Hitchcock mystery woman, from his 1940's period). And you look lovely with the new haircut, as well! I soo agree with the Mia Farrow comparisons (she was, and is, such a beautiful woman), but I also see some of the cinematic depictions of Jeanne D'Arc in your visage....very lovely, but very much your own look, as well.
The broach you are wearing is beautiful...and I love how it almost mirrors the frilliness of the blouse you are wearing...it is perfect with your outfit. OK, enough compliments from me! Great pictures, Wave, top to bottom!! :) Chris R.

Anonymous said...

I really like it. It happens to bring attention to itself while putting the focus on your face at the same time.

The Waves said...

princessmillatwoshoes: yeah, I have seen these types of cuts on other people and have always loved them. I was lucky, I had no idea if I could pull it off or not...

l-m: kiitos!

missa: I just had to watch Rosemary's Baby the other night just because of her hair. (Well, and mine.) I am glad I don't look quite as sickly as she does in the film though!

vasiliisa, t, ranna, hoyan & anon.: thanks! Can't remember the last time I have received so many compliments in one day!

Chris R.: Oh Chris, that platinum cut was so difficult to maintain you wouldn't believe it. It looked fantastic for a week or two, and after that, it was one big downhill. When it comes to the new cut, I'm quite liking the Jeanne D'Arc comparison. After all, Mia Farrow is a bit obvious. Now Jeanne D'Arc... there's a mystery!

Anonymous said...

:) There's a mystery, indeed...there's also proof that the world's not accepting, and persecuting, the new, or unusual is nothing new...Jeanne heard God, so of course many thought she must be insane, a heretic, or an outright liar (I know the English persecuted her as much for polital reasons as religious ones; and truth be told, I'm more of an agnostic than a believer, but still I absolutely respect anyone's rights to believe in whomever or whatever they choose, as long as they do not hurt another living being because of their beliefs). And another, more current mystery...why do new haircuts only look good for a few weeks?? I have the same problem, and so I have cut my hair off...it's just slightly longer than a military cut. I hope you find your hair keeps you happy for more than a few weeks, now that it is shorter. I'm very happy to hear that your Mom is doing better now...and that the surgery was successful. My Mom right now is going through Alzheimer's, and she is in the end stages of the disease, and seeing her become so ill, and knowing there is nothing that can help her is the most difficult thing I have ever gone through. So please love your Mom every second while she is young and healthy, Waves, and please hug and kiss her whenever you are near her (Mom's love being hugged and kissed, and knowing that they are still important in their child's Life). OK, forgive my being maudlin...have a wonderful week, Waves...I am soo happy I found your website...it is such a nice, friendly and sweet escape from everything that is going on in the world. Be well, sincerely, Chris R.

The Waves said...

Chris: I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. A lot of illnesses turn their hosts into almost different people, but Alzheimer's must be the one illness where this is true in the most literal sense. Or more than that, actually, the illness just drains one out completely, until there is nothing left of the person that once was. In this world full of thoughtless, empty-headed people, Alzheimer's is like a cruel joke. I wish you and your family all the strenght in the world. And yes, i will make sure to remember to hug my mom more often.

Anonymous said...

Hi Waves, I'm sorry I just saw your very sweet comment...thank you so much for your good wishes...I think sometimes that this, my Mother's illness, is the hardest thing I have ever gone thoruhg, but then I'm humbled because I realize that, of course, what I am going through is nothing compared to what she is suffering. Thank you again for your very nice words. Be well, Waves, CR