Monday, 5 May 2008

Charles Ryder & co. Revisited


Guess who this is? Well yes, it is Emma Thompson - - - as Lady Marchmain..!


"What what what?"-I hear you say. Yes, indeed. The ever-so-lovely Susie Bubble was my source of this information: Julian Jarrold has filmed Brideshead Revisited this year. How did I not know of this before now??!? How?!

Now, the book by Evelyn Waugh is probably the one book I would take with me on a desert island. I don't think I have ever seen decay being portrayed in such a heart-breaking, yet beautiful manner, and that's saying a lot considering what the major themes of world literature are. There's a lot of decay out there, but no one quite does it the way Mr Waugh does.

As if one's favourite book being filmed in the first place wasn't bad enough, here's my dilemma: the 1981 miniseries Brideshead Revisited is my all time tv-favourite. I have seen the entire series probably at least five times.

I really don't know what to make of the up-and-coming film adaptation. How can I ever watch Charles Ryder being played by someone else than Jeremy Irons? Is it just me, or is Anthony Andrews actually Sebastian Flyte?

Well, apparently not. Here's the new Sebastian. His name is Ben Whishaw.


I don't know about everyone else, but for me this is worse than Keira Knightley playing Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. Not that I know anything about this Wishwash guy, he is probably very talented and all that, but he can't be Sebastian. He just can't. I don't even want to think about Matthew Goode as Charles. This just ain't right.

(The still-images are taken from Style Bubble)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very cool..and very sweet...and I think very honorable that this is so important to you; it is really wonderful. I wonder if you will be able to watch the new movie? Emma is one of my favorite actresses, so maybe that is a good starting point...if she is in this, I would think it would thus have to be a production of some worth. I was just about to start reading Pride and Prejusice, but do you know, Waves, I have never read Brideshead Revisited (I really stopped reading the classics after college, which is shameful, but I had decided as my sole New Year's resolution to start again, this year)...if this is the book you love most, I think I would like to read it. (And who knows when a person might be stranded on a desert island?? :). Thank you, as always, for the very interesting post! I hope your Monday was not too painful...have a great week, Waves, Chris R.

Anonymous said...

Many times, after seeing a movie adaptation, especially one i like, i start to picture the actor every time i think of the book's character. This ben wislaw was the guy who played grenouille in the bad movie version of Patrick Suskind's wonderful book Perfume. (He also played "Rimbaud/Bob Dylan" in Todd Haynes' I'm Not There.) He is ...ok. But there can be no greater miscast than Keira Knightley playing Elizabeth Bennet!!! Luckily I've read the books enough times in my youth and seen a couple of decent tv adaptation to not let her dislodge or ruin my mental image of Lizzie.

Lisi said...

I remember watching Brideshead Revisited on TV here in Norway a while ago, and I was totally charmed by everything! Shame on me I haven`t read the book yet... It is however on my to-do list. Do you happen to know if it`s available on DVD?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I read your blog and I love your style. :) Much of the stuff you get from your flea marked shopping is totally the same I would have picked too.

Ps. I write in (somewhat clumsy) english, because I don`t know if you`re one of the Swedish-speaking Finns that can actually understand Norwegian as well... :)

la femme said...

I'm looking forward to this too!

The Waves said...

Chris R.: You know, Evelyn Waugh didn't like Brideshead Revisited personally. In his old age he thought that it was way too sentimental. I, however, think it is just right!

Iisi: yes, Brideshead Revisited is available on DVD. If you get a chance, watch the whole series in one go. It is almost a surreal experience. Btw, your English is very good, although if you feel more comfortable commenting in Swedish, feel free! My spoken Swedish is not the greatest, but I can read it without too much trouble.

Michelle D said...

The film is out now but I totally agree with your sentiments about the book and (utterly loyal and breathtaking) mini-series. The new film lost something in the process... misses the point a bit, I think. Perhaps on it's own you could consider it a 'good movie' but it's not Waugh's story.

I'm hoping with all the media drawing attention to the mini-series (I'm happy that every article, every ONE, about the film always mentions the mini-series at least once, as well as Anthony Andrews (yes, he'll always be Sebastian for me, too) or Jeremy Irons. SO people may discover or go back to the mini-series...and from there, I hope & pray, the original masterpiece by Waugh.

Cheers!