Thursday, 19 June 2008

Another long dress

I have had my eye on a vintage Vuokko dress at the local self-service flea market for a while now. (There are times when you see the same stuff up for sale weeks and weeks in a row.) The price tag (15 e) seemed a bit much, especially because I wasn't entirely sure about the dress in the first place. Yes, it is vintage Vuokko, yes, the colour (pale peach) is fantastic. But I kept looking at the sheer amount of fabric (there is a lot, and the cut is tent-like) and the size tag (extra small, for all this volume??), and well, let's face it, I tend to associate Vuokko with my mother's maternity wear from the 1970s. Anyway, I stopped by at the flea market today and there was a -50% tag on the dress. I took my chances with all the volume, the strange shape, for 7,50 e. Add a belt, and oh deary me, how great is this dress?


I also found these two miniature framed pictures, and the candle rosettes (or whatever they are called in English) below.




This is what I wore today:

5 comments:

Amy G said...

The Vuokko looks like one of the ABBA album covers! Forgive me--my 70s memory can't remember which one, but I think the girls had on white and very similar styled dresses. It is stunning!

In English (or at least American English), we use a French word for the candle rings: bobeches!

Anonymous said...

The Vuokko is amazing (great point from Amy G, it DOES look like Abba chic! Beautiful!!), and the little framed pics are amazing! As always, lovely and stylish!!! CR

Naomi said...

love the long dress!!! your style is fab!!! love it

The Waves said...

amy g: oh Abba! I am not sure which cover you are talking about, but I can already see the blue eye shadow! :-D And thank you for the vocabulary lesson, I love learning new words! Now if I could only remember them for more than a day or two...

Chris R: thanks! I am a sucker for cute old pictures and old frames... Luckily I tend to hang my pictures in groups so I have plenty of wall space left! :-)

naomi: thanks!

Unicorns Have Whiskers said...

for all that 70's-ness it has a resemblance to a grecian gown..you wear it gracefully!