Wednesday, 4 June 2008

The dresses of our mothers

I believe everyone has at least a handful of memories about their mother based on something she wore. There are two dresses that define my mother to me. The first one is an orange hippie print minidress with chiffon butterfly sleeves, and the second one, a long pale yellow see-through dress that leaves nothing to the imagination. I have never seen my mother wear either of these dresses, I have just heard the stories. The story about the second dress is linked to her having started dating my stepfather in the early 1980s, and having worn the dress without a petticoat or a bra. (I love my mom!) These days I own the butterfly dress. At least once a year either me or my sister try on the pale yellow see-through dress at our mother's place, and every time we wonder how she ever had the guts to wear it in public.

Fast-forward to today, and there I was, spending my time in Fida, not really finding anything interesting, until I touched a piece of clothing on a messy rack of clothes. The fabric immediately felt familiar, and I touched it again. The piece of clothing in question was hanging in the middlebit of the hanger, in a bundled up lump, and I couldn't even figure out if it was a skirt, a shirt or a dress. But as soon as I touched it for the second time, an electric shock of recognition went through my spine. I knew it was my mother's see-through dress. Not in pale yellow, but in white. I immediately phoned up my mother, my sister, anyone I could think of. "It's the dress! THE dress! In white!"

And yes, the dress was in my size. Lo and behold: here it is. If I ever lose my mind and feel like getting married on a beach, I know what I will be wearing.




10 comments:

Ash1314 said...

That dress is BEAUTIFUL....I love the back

laura said...

stunning!

adrienne said...

that is a gorgeous dress, it looks ethereal and like white water rushing down a waterfall.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, moving post (how can there be such marvelous coincidence/destiny/fate in life?)...love the entry title, love the dress (which looks as though it were hand woven just for your figure).
Hey, and I LOVED Brideshead!! :) Now though I MUST track down the series, and watch it...I soo want to see what they did with each character. Have a wonderful weekend, Waves, Chris R.
(I wondered, you've mentioned you spent 4 years, I think it was, in school in England...did the book have an influence on your wanting to travel to GB for school? Or did you discover the book after your time in England? And did you find any of the Brideshead residences (what I mean is, did you see the rustic, estate-type lifestyle that makes the books backgrounds so memorable)? I have to travel to England one day, *sigh*...

kasia said...

amazing dress and amazing coincidence!

The Waves said...

ash1314, laura, adrienne & kasia: thanks, you all! The only problem with the dress is the see-through factor. I was really struggling to take the pictures (in the end I used two nude colour tops for the front, and one for the back picture), but i will have to think of something for real life... I like the dress way too much to just store it away for my never-going-to-happen beach wedding...

Chris R: Actually a friend of mine in England introduced me to the book as well as the series. I wish I had travelled out of London more often when I had the chance, although I did get to see a couple of really cool places, not quite like Brideshead though. The old parts of Oxford are wonderful, for example, and after all, that's where Charles met Sebastian...

Anonymous said...

Pöppelö,

aivan ihana mekko... ja tosi hyvä kirjotus! Mulla on sua jo kova ikävä... I feel so empty without you... Menkäämme joku päivä auringon paisteeseen istumaan ja pohtimaan maailman menoa.

T: You know who... (Suvi)

Unicorns Have Whiskers said...

What a wonderful, perfect dress! I would totally wear that for a wedding at the beach. except that I'm already married! (What's up with only getting one wedding? I'm thinking we should have a big party for our 10th anniversary!)
Could you sew a lining to it to make it more covering?

Isabel said...

Wow, that is an amazing story to go along with an amazing dress. It is completely stunning.

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

The back is simply stunning! Please wear it somewhere.