Thursday, 26 June 2008

Flying objects


I have been looking for a right kind of scarab since forever. I am not awfully familiar with Egyptian mythology, but I do know that dung beetles were considered the representatives of Khepri, the god who renewed the sun every day. Just as Khepri had created himself out of nothing, the ancient Egyptians believed that dung beetles existed only in the male form, they didn't need females to reproduce, and came into being from dead matter. The scarab, then, symbolises rebirth, renewal and self-creation.

I was looking for scarabs on Etsy, and found Ragtrader. Not only did I find a perfect scarab, but I also fell in love with Beth's Time Flies-pendants.


Especially in my current state of questioning identities and influences, the issues that a scarab symbolises certainly have a special meaning to me. It is important to me to recognise where I come from, where I am now, and where I am headed. Several years ago I was going through a rough patch in my life, and someone told me back then that whatever I do or think, I must understand that I am the most important person in my own life. Essentially, I am the only person who can create myself. Funny, that I have only recently started to really understand what that means.

This is what I wore today:

I simply love this Time Flies-pendant. Time is so palpable, yet so fragile.

6 comments:

The Clothes Horse said...

You look nice. I love both pendants and the shoes. Etsy is a wonderful place to find unique jewelry.

esme and the lane way said...

I love the outfit, and the pendant is beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

Ana said...

What a inspiring blog! I'm not really into fashion, but I come here just to read the beautiful things you write (I like your clothes though :) )
If only I could write like you do...

kasia said...

that pendant is so wonderful

stacy said...

that is such a gorgeous pendant! <3

The Waves said...

the clothes horse: I am relatively new to Etsy, actually. It is absolutely mind-blowing though! So many super-talented people out there!

esme and the lane way & kasia: thanks!

ana: thank you for your nice words, I have never thought of myself as a decent writer, but I am glad you think so!