Monday, 11 August 2008

Greetings from the Old World


This postcard album used to belong to Miss Sallie Fenton from, I think, Manchester. (Some of the cards are addressed to the same Miss Fenton in Liverpool.) The postcards inside are from 1902 to 1906.



This is the illustration on the very first page.

The first pages of the album are filled with postcards portraying female actresses, like Miss Marie Studholme and Miss Gabrielle Ray, sent to Miss Felton by her friends.


The rest are scenery cards from all over the United Kingdom.


How strange, that this old album is so full of now faded and disintegrated life. People who shared times and spaces, who felt connected to each other, and all I (for all people) have, is this album, a collection of their memories.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Oh. That album is divine.

Where did you find it?

Anonymous said...

I am soo envious of your having this album!! :) It is an amazing keepsake...when I see this type of piece I always wonder what happened to the people who were represented within its pages....it is a joyous thing to catch a glimpse of their lives, but it always makes me sad that they are gone, and have been gone for so long. It is wonderful that they will be remembered now, even this little bit , because you have, and are enjoying, their correspondences, and we all now know at least the name Sallie Fenton. Great find, Waves, and thanks for sharing this, CR

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

What a cool artifact to have.

minni said...

You make me look like a bad person.. because I wanted to get rid of it :)

Milla said...

Love love love! No really, I do. This album looks amazing.

Kate said...

what a treasure. i was born in liverpool and now live in a town between there and liverpool. i can't even imagine liverpool then.

esme and the lane way said...

What a beautiful album, I love things like this.