Friday, 22 August 2008

Night of the arts - at home

Today is "the night of the arts" here in Helsinki. It is an annual occasion, a festival-type event with a lot of music, films, performance art, theatre... basically everything that falls under the wide category of "art". It takes place all over Helsinki - book stores, art galleries, museums, the streets... I went into town for the day, and just as the festivities were beginning towards the evening, I decided to head home. The weather was lovely, but there were just way too many people around, and way too many drunken teenagers throwing up at street corners at 6 pm already.


I think it is hugely important that there are events such as this one -it is an opportunity for up-and-coming your artists to show their work, and for the audiences, well, it can be an (annual) event of a lifetime, witnessing wonderful performances, experiencing larger-than-life moments. For me personally, the festival has been a bit of a disappointment for the past couple of years. This year, I am staying home!

These images (the first one is from the August issue of L'Officiel, the other two from the Derhy catalog) inspired me today:

And this is what I wore (hmm, not quite as sophisticated, but oh well!):


This is my new animal print coat:

It is a little wild, and perhaps an unlikely choice for me, but I fell in love with it and had to have it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMzing outfit, Waves..I love the shirt, it is very charming (and I see a hare!! :). Sweet coat, too! We have where I live an event each month named "First Friday"..it is very much as you describe "the night of the arts", but on a much smaller scale...it is attended mainly by young professionals, and middle aged folks, and is thankfully very calm, and peaceful. It's wonderful to see the very eccletic mix of artists, and they have live music, and wine, and it is always a very fine evening.

Mila said...

Wow, it looks so goegeous on you!!

Really like your blog..

:) Mila.

beccajanie said...

That sounds like a fabulous event, would be amazing to go to and explore!

I love your t-shirt, it's so cute! Where ever did you find it? And a great outfit too, by the way.

minni said...

I love the coat... and You, of course! :)