Monday, 4 August 2008

Season of change

It is funny what a big difference just a couple of days can make. There is a different kind of scent in the air now, the tone of nature's colours has changed, the air feels chillier even though the temperature has remained the same. I went swimming yesterday evening, despite the murky weather, in a small pond nearby where I live. The water felt heavy, its colour was darker, yet faded somehow, the sand between my toes was cold and sticky. As the rain fell on the pond and myself, the whole scenery was screaming decay. It is not the end of summer yet, but the tables have turned already. I could feel it in my bones, in my right knee, to be precise. (My knee was once dislocated, and ever since I have felt weather changes in it.)


Every once in a while I go through phases when I feel the need to revamp myself somehow. Quite often these moments coincide with seasonal changes. Sometimes it is about needing to read more books (winter), sometimes it is about needing to take life more lightly and to drink more wine (spring), sometimes it is about needing to ask a street performer out for ice cream (summer). What I feel now is a need for an external shift, as I often do, come autumn. I am not giving up my flowers, ruffles and pastels, but I long for colour, abstract prints and new types of surfaces beside them.



4 comments:

esme and the lane way said...

Ah, I love when the seasons change, and things seem to change with them. That renewing feeling is great.

Anonymous said...

It's all biorhythms! Changing with the seasons...makes perfect sense! It would be really interesting to see you in abstract patterns...and I think it's healthier for people to listen to their inner voices and instincts, so...please post pics!! :) CR

Unicorns Have Whiskers said...

For me the need to change my appearance comes with big changes in my life. Though sometimes it's just a coping mechanism or a type of reaction, and a couple of months later I will snap out of it, thinking what the hell was I thinking ? :D

But I guess through all of that my own style will emerge, and isn't it said that the 20's are a time for experimantation and in your 30's you will find your style?

Anyway, losing my mom and becoming a mom myself have definitely turned my world around a couple of times and it's not possible to be affected by that in every part of my life...

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Good luck thru this transitional period, they are always agonizing but wonderful.