Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Shall I compare me to a summer's day?


I went to a recycling centre today with Minni and her kids, and brought home way too many books. As usual, I have plans to read all of them, but needless to say, my time is limited and I probably already have unread books to last me a lifetime. I found Neruda's memoirs, Gogol's Taras Bulba, Portrait of a Marriage by Nigel Nicolson (it is the story of Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson's marriage, written by their son), Therese and Isabelle by Violette Leduc... some Helvi Hämäläinen, Märta Tikkanen... There are simply too many wonderful books in this world! I am unable to resist getting more!

I think my greatest discovery was Shakespeare's Sonets. I like to think that I have a decent understanding of the English language, but with Shakespeare, I am at a loss. The volume I found today has the English original and the Finnish translation side by side - not that I believe that verse is translatable in the first place, but it certainly helps to go through the original with some help.

I didn't spend the entire time at the books' section though, and also found this wondeful hairband for 3,50. I will wear it at Mietti's birthday party on Saturday. Hmm, I only have to decide which dress to wear now...

6 comments:

minni said...

At least you will soon have a lovely shelf to put your books in :)

Anonymous said...

You find such beautiful books, Waves! Shakespeare writes so beautifully...I must say, please do not be too troubled if you are at a loss while reading him...I think many of us, for whom English is our native language, also find times when he is beyond us. But with his writing, and especially the sonnets, the construction of his language, the flow and rhythm of the lines, and the amazing words he uses can still be cherished just for the way they sound in your mind, or if you read them outloud. I don't think there has ever been a more beautiful flow to words than in his writing. That said, it has been far too long since I have picked up his sonnets, or his plays...someday when I am retired from work, and have seemingly all the time in the world, I plan to read through much of his work again. And, oh my, that is the most beautiful hairband...and you look so beautiful wearing it. You compliment each other perfectly. Nice post, Waves! :) Chris R.

Milla said...

You also got the Valley Of The Dolls?!!?? Awesomeness

Anonymous said...

ps--your necklace is amazing, CR

Anastasia said...

Shakespeare is beautiful, but at times even completely illegible to those who have english as their first language. He tends to use his creative license to make up a lot of words! Still even when you dont understand, it still sounds lovely.

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

That is so pretty, can't wait to see the whole look.