Monday, 8 September 2008

To have but not to wear

As some of you might have noticed, my friend Minni gives me a lot of stuff. She is currently trying to get rid of the result of her having been a manic collector of all sorts of items for the past, umm, many, many years. Since I still am a manic collector of all sorts of items myself, I am more than happy to ease her burden. However, things are starting to get out of hand. Minni's sister, also a former collector, has also decided to get rid of things. What am I supposed to do when clothes like these are being thrown at me for mere pennies?



These are all great dresses, no doubt about it. The question is: will I ever wear them? I spent the entire spring and summer thrifting wonderful clothes, but I have not really gotten the chance to wear them much at all. After all, there are only so many clothes one can wear per each day. Would it be wrong of me to just want to own these dresses, even if I know that I might not wear them? Surely I should tell Minni's sister to take them to the flea market, as I am convinced there are a lot of people out there who would get more wear out of these wonderful items than myself.


Take this Vuokko dress above, or the Marimekko one below. These are fabulous dresses, right? But would I really wear the orange stripes as boldly as they deserve to be worn? And could I pull off the granny-chic look in the purple dress without looking as if I have escaped from another decade?


Or what about this one then? Where could I really wear this?




This is what I wore today, and looking at the outfit I chose for myself this morning, and comparing it to the photos above, I wonder again: How do we choose our styles? Do we choose them at all, or do we just drift into wearing certain pieces more than others?

8 comments:

Vasiliisa said...

Well, you know, if you decide that the Vuokko dress or the one in the first pic aren't working for you, you can always share the hand-me-down love with me :)

I do think they look look pretty fab on you too, though.

minni said...

They all look amazing on you! So please keep them for as long as you like and let´s sell them first when you get bored and want to start getting rid of stuff...ok?
Love you!

esme and the lane way said...

What amazing dresses! Keepity-keep!

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

There is a definite look that you have, it's distinct. Whether you choose it or not, I don't know. I would have to say my style chose me (I think). I have been trying to change it and it so hard to do.

Molla said...

wow - :) they look soooooo good on you! ..the first one, especially. ♥

beccajanie said...

I think they look lovely on you. If I were you I wouldn't be able to part with any to send off to flea market, I'd be collecting like mad even if they were mostly going to hang in my closet and look beautiful.

Anonymous said...

These outfits are, to my eyes, all interesting...or beautiful...or both. I love the first dress, and the last outfit--with the jeans--looks amazing on you! :) CR

purrhaps said...

you look really sweet with that hair and cloth in twiggy style)