Tuesday, 7 October 2008

On Quality


I met up with my old high-school friends this past weekend. I found myself to be the only one who was not married, and the only one who did not dress like a 'normal' 30-year-old would. We ended up talking about relationships and marriage, as well as the clothes we wear, and as usual, I was the one who had the inner urge to blurt out the question everyone is always dying to ask when it comes to the bigger questions in life: how does one know anything for sure? How does one know whether one is supposed to marry a high-school sweetheart? How does one know whether one should spend 50 euros on a H&M coat or 500 on a unique designer piece? I think it all comes down to quality, and quality is a state of mind more than anything.


I would often like to think that I don't actively value things. I hate making comparisons between things that never quite seem comparable at all. I prefer to think that I am impulsive, and go where ever life takes me, or what 'feels right'. But when it comes to important things in life, there is a process one must go through in order to achieve an illusion of certainty. Otherwise we just drift. There are times when life seems more meaninful if one stops for a little, to put in the effort to make sure that there are things that one actively wants or doesn't want.


The answer is, I think: we never know anything for sure, but it is not about luck either. We just have to judge our wants and needs, and then decide, and through dedication and inner strength we create meanings for ourselves. With carelessness comes bad judgement, with dedication, true quality. We should be able to ask for perfection. We should never settle for something that does not feel like the real thing. It really should be just as simple as that, because there is perfection out there.

When we make choices, the end results should be just as refined and perfect, both inside and out, as the seams of this YSL Rive Gauche blouse.

11 comments:

Hailey @ stylesymmetry.com said...

For me it's the opposite, I am married and none of our friends are, in fact 6 years of being married and still no one else. Love your leg warmer thingys and great pants!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful outfit, Waves. It looks perfect on you, and you look perfectly beautiful in it, Chris R.

Anonymous said...

And of course, a beautifully written, thought-provoking...essay! Here is to the continuing search for perfection...may you find it very soon, Chris R.

Anonymous said...

You're thirty? :o I would never have guessed!

I love these jeans :)

Christina

Vasiliisa said...

The quality of a piece of clothing is definitely easier to assess than the quality of a relationship... I am 36 now and my friends have started divorcing...

Eleh said...

i usually follow my intuition. sometimes it works, at times it doesnt.

i would not have guess that you're thirty. you look soo good!!

minni said...

Lovely blouse dear! You look amazing, as always... And not as OLD as you are ;)

I think it is impossible to know...What to choose/what's right/when is enough. It's hard. For my opinion not so much the first part where you spend time thinking, if your choice is right or wrong... But the part later...afterwards...Where you confess and accept and forgive yourself for making a bad, (possibly totally horrible), decision and give yourself the permission to move on. Be happy, enjoy.

But I think you're right. One should definitely not settle for anything less than perfect. Life is too short for (sh)it.

minni said...

Oh and I LOVE the shoes, what size are they? ;)

beccajanie said...

That blouse is gorgeous!

beccajanie said...

I love that blouse - and the whole outfit. Gorgeous.

The Waves said...

hailey: there is something wonderful about doing something that no one else is... just as there is something wonderful about going with the crowd at times. I have worn the legwarmers practically every day since I got them, I love them so much!

Chris R.: thanks! About looking for perfection: just take a look at your kitties! :)

Christina: yes, I am 30...

vasiliisa: well, I am not sure whether I agree, because either relationships work or they don't work... but the only reason I am saying this is because right now I am going through a phase where seeing things black/white seems appropriate. Ask me again in two months time and my asnwer is probably different. :)

eleh: I think following one's instinct is as good as it gets... sometimes common sense just gets in the way. :)

minni: oh I love that, "life is too short for (sh)it". I think I will steal that phrase. :)The shoes are size 39... want to borrow them? ;)

beccajanie: thanks! I haven't actually felt this comfortable about a particular outfit in ages!