Friday, 9 January 2009

The Waves - Fateful Days of the Blogger

When I was little, I thought that Romy Schneider as Sissi, the young to-be Kaiserin Elisabeth of Austria-Hungary, was the most beautiful woman who ever lived. I have been thinking about her a lot lately.


In the last part of the film-trilogy, Sissi - Schicksalsjahre einer Kaiserin, Sissi falls ill with tuberculosis. Fearing that Sissi's life is in jeopardy, the royal doctors send her off to Madeira and then to Corfu to get well. This is what Sissi looks like, laying on her sick-bed in Madeira, taken care by her mother Ludovika (played by Romy Schneider's mother, Magda):


By the time they had spent some time (months, I would guess) at Corfu, Sissi has almost recovered and looks like this:

Now, I have been sick with the flu for the past three days, which is not half as bad as suffering from tuberculosis for months on end, and I look a lot worse than Sissi. I am wondering why my doctor is not sending me off to Corfu to get better and prettier. To those who say that Romy Schneider is not actually sick in the movie, I say poppycock! Apparently the heavy wig she had to wear during shooting the films caused her agonising migraines on a daily basis. Not only did she manage to look beautiful, but beautifully ill. I want some of that!

3 comments:

Vasiliisa said...

Gee, I dunno! I think it's rather creepy that some people never look bad!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

It's true, in the movie shes not actually sick just playing sick you know? Hopefully you will be back to 100% very soon!!

Andrea said...

I think a few months in Corfu would cure just about anything.