Friday, 6 February 2009

One of those weeks


Since the last time I updated this blog, I have had four (4) migraines. That's a lot of seeing stars and flashing lights, feeling sick to one's stomach and feeling as if there is an alien insect inside one's brain, eating it slowly but surely. In short, 4 migraines has been a huge pain in the head. It really is a strange condition, this migraine. I have had them since I was 10. The last drug I tried was a hugely recommended triptan, which gave me the worse headache in the history known to migraines, as well as left me dazed and disoriented for three days. It's amazing that they (meaning doctors and scientists, I guess) still haven't even found out what causes migraines, not to mention that there are still people around who insist that "it's all in your head". No shit, Sherlock?



There is a great book by Oliver Sacks called "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat". Sacks is a neurologist, and his book is a collection of his patients' stories and other curious case files. One of the most intriguing chapters of the book is his analysis of Hildegard of Bingen, a German abbess, visionary and author who lived in the 11th century, who according to Sacks, suffered from migraines.

Hildegard wrote about and drew several sketches of "visions" she had witnessed since an early age, and surprisingly, her images look very familiar to me. Falling bright stars that die out, flashing wavy movement, zigzag of sorts, fortification spectra... it really looks like migraine to me. I guess it was Hildegard's fortune that she was taken in by the church, because I bet she would have been burnt alive for diabolical visions had she been a regular peasant. Hildegard was considered a chosen one because of her migraine-based visions, and she built her life on it. Other migraine sufferers have made something out of their misery too; Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet brought out their migraines in their paintings. Me? Well, I have nothing but massive headaches and weird aura every now and then. This is what I wore today:


And finally, the world preview of my great boots, the ones I got in Italy!

P.S. If you see me walking on the streets of Helsinki, looking desperate and very headachy, squinting my eyes and seeming as if I am not even looking where I am going, the very first picture of this post is exactly how I see (or don't see) that very moment. Feel free to take my hand and help me get to the train station, and put me on the next M-train. Thank you!

9 comments:

M said...

Hello lovely!
You look amazing, as always! Let's hope someday soon they will find a medicine, that helps!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Sorry you have been sick. I love those thigh highs!! They lok amazing on you.

Becca Jane said...

I'm sorry to hear about your migraines - I hope you find something to help that isn't so terrible as that triptan?

Also - I've read "The Man who Mistook His Wife For a Hat" and it is SO interesting!

Anonymous said...

Our Waves has had another migraine, so I hope everyone reading will think good thoughts for her! And as always Waves, you look beautiful, *sigh*. Chris

Aurelia said...

above the knee boots!!! LOOOVE!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, migranes are the pits. Really sorry to hear about your condition. I hope you get lots of temple massages from your man! hehehe

Those knee high boots are fab!

Milla said...

feel better and read some siri hustvedt if you haven't already, she has them too.

tis serendipity said...

I love how you tied your bow in the first outfit! =) It looks really nice; how'd you get it to stay a ribbon the entire day? I haven't tried that style yet but it seems like a really good idea... Did you just attempt it by trial and error? That's a really interesting skirt too! Where's it from?

Oh dear, so sorry to hear about your migraines... Are you on medication for them? Perhaps there's a way for you to alleviate the migraines through some therapeutic outlets like art or music...

kasia said...

i also get migraines with aura, luckily only every few months though.. flashing zigags, then i lose the ability to speak, read, etc. i just found out the other day that they invented a device that can stop a migraine with a little electric current, and it is currently waiting for fda approval in the usa. so, there's hope!
see this site if you would like to read more about it: http://www.neuralieve.com/Clinical%20Research.htm

hope your migraines haven't been coming as often!