Saturday, 19 September 2009

New Old Clothes

Me and Chris had time to kill before going to see Food, Inc., which by the way, is the film to watch if you are considering going organic, vegetarian, or planning to go on hunger strike until the food industry takes responsability for the foods they produce. (If you can't bear the thought of seeing footage of animals being mistreated in feeding lots or slaughterhouses, I recommend reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. The book covers the same haunting facts about food industry, but simultaneously offers a warm, vivid true-story about one family's decision to eat only self- or locally farmed foods for a year.)

Anyway, before going to the cinema me and Chris stopped by at the local Salvation Army thrift store. I had never been to this store before, and oh boy, it turned out to be thrifting heaven! The place is the size of a supermarket, and endless rows of colour-cordinated clothes were waiting to be picked like ripe fruit. This red wool coat was the first item to catch my eye, and at $14.99, it was the most expensive piece of clothing I saw there:

This green (the colour is a little off in the photo) suede shearling coat was $12.99:


These pieces of knitwear were $3.99 each. The pink one happens to be Dior.


The tie-dye t-shirts were 95 cents each.

The gray jean toggle coat with a colourful fleece lining was $7.99:

The little brown purse was $3.99, and the fantastic boots $5.99.


I was really impressed with how organised the store was. All clothes were clean and in good condition. There was so much stuff that I didn't even have time to look at the sections with dresses, trousers or skirts, or menswear. Out of perhaps 40 racks of clothes I managed to hastily go through maybe 5 in the space of 45 mins - meaning, of course, that I'll be going back very soon to see what I missed!

P.S. Go see Food, Inc., and change the way you buy food, if you haven't already!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can see the movie. It would probably make me sick! Interesting, your Salvation Army finds. I have never been in there, although we take plenty of stuff there. This is my first post. Hope it works

Eyeliah said...

Oh yes it is quite the store, in high school it was affectionally nicknamed "Sally Ann". :0) that blue coat is so great.