Saturday, 26 December 2009

Christmas Came And Went

Our tree still looks beautiful, and I shockingly still have some chocolates left, so I guess Christmas isn't all over yet. I woke up this morning with a pounding headache - there is a reason why I always - always - steer away from red wine with tannins. I should have known better! All in all, our Christmas consisted of some frantic cooking (with varied results and a dry bird - how do our mothers manage? I was only cooking for two!), a certain someone napping on the sofa, Frank Sinatra's Christmas cd playing on repeat, some presents, plenty of chocolates and crazy kitties - as portrayed here by our little devil, Audrey.

I got some great presents from Chris, including this beautiful set of jewellery, made of blood-red Swarowski chrystals by our dear and oh-so-talented friend Lynn.


Wearing my new set of jewellery, I drowned myself in the world of fashion with the help of this book:

A giant bible of the history of fashion, its scope ranging from the beginning of the 18th century until the end of the 1990s, I devoured the first 200 or so pages last night, and not at all surprisingly, the contents were slightly on the provocative side of things. Oh, there is so much to know about the world of fashion, the world of costumes, and there are so many questions to ask. I guess within the past 300 years, less has changed than what I thought.

Fashion has always been about keeping up appearances, putting people's minds and bodies in a box (or corsets), be they low-key or extravagant. The book is simply wonderful, with dozens of photos taken of real clothes (not just drawings or paintings) owned by the Kyoto Costume Institute.

1 comment:

Eyeliah said...

I was surprised, I have 304 glasses of wine and no hangover - that is truly a first.