Monday, 18 January 2010

Boo!

I usually don't care about film / tv / media awards too much. I forget within the next week who won, and more often remember that no one wore anything that I really liked. I have a problem with Avatar winning the Golden Globe for best picture though. (I also have a problem with the universal acclaim Avatar has been showered with.)

I really love good science fiction. I have nothing against James Cameron. Aliens is one of my favourite movies of all time, as is Terminator 2 - Judgement Day. I was hesitant about Avatar at first, but when the reviews started pouring in and after my friends started raving about it on Facebook, I thought that it must be a good film. I was in for a shock. Aside from Avatar looking pretty (yes, the 3-D was impressive), I didn't think it showed any intelligence or depth whatsoever. The plot was way too easy to predict, the characters were nothing but stereotypical, and the message was packed with way-too-obvious references to colonialism as well as the current landscape of international politics. Add the plagiarism charges, as well as visual bits and pieces "borrowed" from Cameron's earlier works (especially the space ship equipment from Aliens), and the whole thing turns into a big blah to me. So boo to you, Golden Globes, BOO! I want my money back.

1 comment:

SnapandPrint said...

Even more reason for me not to see this film.

When people only offered that it was "pretty to look at" as a reason to see it...I instantly struck it off my "Must See" movie list.