Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Resolutions

Happy New Year, everyone!

The lovely Ranna wrote already back in September last year that there comes a time when one feels the need to settle down with one's wardrobe. That doesn't mean getting stuck in a rut on purpose, or that one is not allowed to get anything new. It means that any new purchase has to qualify as a special piece one is willing to love for years to come. "Maybe-I'll-wear-it-one-day"s or "Oh-well-might-as-well-because-it-is-cheap"s will not do. Looking at Ranna's favourite purchases of 2009, she has made some impressive investments - real statement finds that will serve her for a long time.


Blouse: Indiska
Cardigan: Max&Co.
Skirt: Mom's old
Belt: second hand / Petrune
Tights: H&M
Ankle boots: Sportmax
Hairband: second hand Jennifer Ouellette / Jane consignment


I never make New Year's resolutions, but this year I am willing to make an exception. There are two things I want to do in 2010:

1. I promise to settle down with my wardrobe. I will only buy things that I really love.
2. I promise to smile more in my outfit photos.


What is the verdict on wearing a hairband, when, well, one does not have hair..? I got this Jennifer Ouellette hairband at a consignment store in Princeton called Jane. The shop has a great full-of-treasures look to it, and they have an extensive selection of beautiful vintage clothes, as well as accessories, books, porcelain, all sorts of trinkets and even furniture. For the most part, their prices are high though. Then again, they only sell items that are in impeccable condition, and it seems to me that the items with eyebrow-raising price tags must be serious collectibles. I don't know what else would explain a $400 tag on a pair of 1970s YSL pumps. I paid $5 for the hairband, which I thought was reasonable. I am sure it would look better on someone with more hair, but oh well. It doesn't look ridiculous though, does it?


My other discovery was this silk blouse ($25). It looks as if it has never been worn, and the button details are beautiful. Definitely one to love for years to come!

3 comments:

M said...

I love your smile!

Anonymous said...

I resolve to call her up a thousand times a day
And ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashioned way...oxox, CR

DVM said...

I think the hairband looks great, and I think that it looks better with short hair then it would with long, actually. I think with long hair it would get lost and not be as dramatic. I definitely think it works and that it works really well. And the fact that it was only $5 makes it even more fabulous!