Thursday, 25 February 2010

Fade to Colour

When I started this blog over two years ago (wholy Moses, has it been that long?), I wore mostly pale pastels and grays. There were occasional pops of colour here and there, but for the most part it was all about the soft and the muted colours. I don't know what has happened to me over the past year, but I wake up every morning craving for colour. And not just colour, but random mixes of colours, and mixes of colourful prints. The pale stuff haunts me every time I open my wardrobe. There is an awful lot of gray in there, and I keep wanting to wear the few really colourful and patterned things I have, over and over again. Today I tried to come up with something new with mixing two different florals with plaid and stripes, and even though I liked the patterns together, the tailored jacket just didn't feel right to me.


I have never felt fully comfortable in blazers, even though I really like them on other people. I feel like they make me look too "dressed up", as if I was going to work in an office, but who knows, perhaps it is just in my head. Anyway, I changed into a patterned poncho, but I somehow feel like this isn't enough patterns and colours for today. I don't know what is wrong with me!



Knowing that I seem to be into brights these days, Chris got me some superbly colourful flowers yesterday. They certainly brightened up my day. We are surrounded by a blizzard, and spring seems to be awfully far away.


See-through print tunic: Tuuli's old
Poncho: Urban Outfitters
Stripy tee: Only
Trousers: Diesel
Boots: Sportmax

10 comments:

Sal said...

Wow, that STILL didn't feel pattern-y enough? It's such a vibrant mix!

Emisa said...

You have a really nice, interesting and fun blog. I feel happy, because I find it.
You are lovely and gorgeous! Best wishes.

BookGirl said...

I like both looks, but have to say that the first outfit, with the blazer, strikes more sparks for me. The more tailored look of the blazer is wonderful with the softer fabric and pattern of the dress, and the colors are wonderful as well.

And while I'm here, I also wanted to answer the question you asked in response to your post on the loud theater patrons. I found your commentary quite even-handed, and wasn't offended. I hope you'll continue to provide your perspective. As an immigrant myself -- albeit of much longer standing than you (I arrived here when I was five) -- one of the things I appreciate about the U.S. is that I'm able to speak my mind. My responsibility is to do so respectfully (which I believe you did in your post).

I've started following your blog only recently, but enjoy your writing, your point of view and, of course, your photos.

Thanks!

Clara

wardrobeexperience said...

gorgeous mix of different patterns! just love it!

http://www.wardrobexperience.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

love it more with the poncho...

Eyeliah said...

I remember well how you dressed in the beginning, so many looks saved in my flickr faves!! I like how you styled has evolved too, it's still inspiring me. :-)

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

I think you look great in the blazer, but I understand the reluctance to wear one. I feel really constricted in a blazer. Some women look very polished and smart, but I feel boxy and boyish.
What a great mix of colors and patterns. I am trying to be more colorful as well but when I try to branch out in my clothing purchases, I often don't wear the brights.

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

Yeah, I know the feeling of wanting to wear colors in the morning. I usually feel like that every single day, it just makes my day a little brighter. I actually LOVE this pattern mixing you did, good job! Plus, that color on your scarf really makes you glow! love it!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Milla said...

I love how different your look has become since you came to America and the happy life with Chris ;)
Plus I really covet that tunic. So sweet. Blazers have never sat right with me, but this one looks quite fetching on you and I like both ways of styling the tunic.

mirattes said...

You are color-obsessed, but it is perfect :)