Thursday, 11 February 2010

Listing Good Things

I woke up this morning feeling all achy. I shoveled a lot of snow yesterday and probably didn't have my moves figured out completely - hence the aches. I went to get my newspaper from the beautifully shoveled driveway only to find that it was not there. What is a girl to do when grumpiness looms at the early hours of the day?

1. The girl wears the biggest, the comfiest piece of knitwear (and the funniest socks) she can find.

2. She has an entire pot of tea while browsing a pile of old fashion magazines and listening to Supergrass.

3. She decides to make an effort with make-up.


Okay, so my eyelashes do not look 80% longer (what does that even mean??), but considering this was my first time playing around with liquid eyeliner, I think I am getting somewhere. I don't wear much make-up at all, really. The reason I am trying to learn the tricks of liquid eyeliner is because I have decided to look more glamorous than usual on Saturday, when me and Chris are going to see a play at the local theatre. I am going to wear a red velvet 1950s dress, which means that eye make-up really is a must.



Since I have been whining a lot this week (about immigration, about not having bothered to learn US measures and whatever else), I decided to list some positive things about living in the US. Here we go:


1. People really are friendly here. Not fake-friendly, but friendly for real. Case in point: yesterday when I was struggling with all that snow-shoveling, our neighbours came out to help me with the driveway. Or that you can bump into the person who sold you your bike at the grocery store, and he remembers you and asks how the bike is working out for you. Or that the lady at the coffee shop hugs you when you tell her you recently got married.

2. There is always something on tv in case you are having a bad day and just want to zone out.

3. Cookies. American cookies are the best.

4. There is a genuine sense of freedom of speech here. People have opinions and they are not afraid to voice them out. Okay, so they bleep out swearing on tv, but hey, nothing is perfect.


Fisherman's sweater: second hand / UFF
Trousers: H&M
Socks: Urban Outfitters
Shoes: second hand Gabor / mom's old

Edit: I spelled "shovel" with a "w", three times. Go figure!

8 comments:

tigerteacher said...

I am recent convert to liquid eyeliner as it stays put all day better than pencil. And I have a recommendation - Prestige brand! It's a cheapie drugstore brand and the shades are mostly metallic but the sheen seems to make the shaky line I make less noticeable and the colors are beautiful - emerald green and pretty warm purple and steely gray. They also have a pointy sponge tip which is easier to use than the brush. I also love that the coffee shop lady hugged you. :-)

Sal said...

I am DELIGHTED to hear you say that American cookies are the best! Especially since our chocolate is disgraceful compared to what's available in Europe.

Those socks are a hoot, lady.

Eyeliah said...

Oh so nice you are adjusting so easily into American culture. Canadain cookies are pretty good too and we are also nice (almost too nice!). :)

Michele said...

Aw, now I'm feeling a bit homesick. The cookies are good! And the bagels too. Mmmmm bagels! But one (well, of many) thing that's better in Finland are those pushy snow shovels!

P.S. Sal--Ghiradelli chocolate is so nice for baking and Theo chocolate is *wonderful* if you're after confectionery.

DVM said...

That's because you can't take the "ow" out of shoveling!!

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Yes, American cookies rock!
What about the thrifting culture? Is it different in America? The used goods market in general? I once asked my friend while I was in Berlin about used books/clothes and he was horrified. Is there a transatlantic divide on that, in your experiences?

a cat of impossible colour said...

Ooh! I hope you took photos of the red velvet dress. :)

Andrea xx

DVM said...

It's because you can't take the "ow" out of shoveling!