Sunday, 14 February 2010

My Valentine

In Finland it never seemed to be a big deal to have one's birthday on Valentine's Day. Finns see Valentine's Day as a celebration for friendship more than anything else, and as a result, it does not have those all-you-need-is-love connotations over there. In the US, the bank teller was awww-ing all over my birth date last week, as was the lady at our local social security office. I don't know what they expect, really. Am I supposed to be more lovable than the rest of the population? Does more love come my way? Do I love more than others?

To make sure my birthday got all the attention it rightfully deserved (after all, 32 is a respectable age), me and Chris began our celebrations yesterday already. We had lunch with our friends, then went to have dinner at a nice restaurant, followed by a play at the local theatre. This morning I was woken up with a bouquet of red roses and a fresh pot of tea and scrambled eggs. Today Chris has been walking around with a badge that says "I'd be lost without my wife". I guess it is my turn to say "awww", even if it was me that got him the badge.

This is what I wore yesterday for lunch, indoors and out:

Blouse: Noa Noa
Skirt: Viktor & Rolf
Tights: American Apparel
Ankle boots: Sportmax
Bag: second hand / Petrune Vintage



Coat: second hand / UFF
Hat: second hand / Fida
Scarf: present from Chris

This is what I wore to the theatre.


Vintage velvet dress: Rosie's old
Tights: H&M
Handbag: Minni's old
Shoes: John Galliano
Jewelry: JBL

10 comments:

Milla said...

Happy Belated Birthday! That red dress is stunning, lucky Chris.

a cat of impossible colour said...

That red dress is even more beautiful on you than I thought it would be. :)

Happy belated birthday!

And ... you were born on Valentine's Day? AWWWW, how ADORABLE. (Hehe, just kidding!)

Eyeliah said...

Oh my you are radiant! Happy birthday! Valentines was always my baby bros bday too so I've never really celebrated the day.

jesse.anne.o said...

Happy birthday! That red on you is so dramatic and flattering. And that blue coat is frickin' adorable!

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

happy birthday!!!
i love that blue coat on you--it is just lovely.
and i am so glad to see another virginia woolf lover around these parts.

Charlotte said...

I've just discovered your lovely blog, drawn by The Waves, which is my favorite Woolf novel...
Your red dress is stunning.

eunice said...

Happy Birthday!! all your outfits look gorgeous, most especially the velvet red dress! :)

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

Maria@chicisimo said...

Happy birthday!! Yes!! In USA Valentine´s day is something really really special :D!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

It was my pastor's bday too on the 14th, happy belated birthday. Now I have to ask you, in Finnland do you mention yourself first and then the other person? Like you say "Me and Chris" instead of Chris and I or me, I've seen it in all the entries and I was just wondering, sorry and I don't mean it in a rude way, I was just wondering maybe in other countries you mention the self first and then others, here it is more polite to mention other people and then yourself. Anyways, yo look lovely and you are tall! I can imagine how Mr. Chris felt with such a lovely wife on Valentine' day. =)

The Waves said...

Thanks for all of your lovely comments and birthday wishes!

Anonymous: you are absolutely right! In Finnish I would always put "me" first when constructing a sentence like the one you are describing. It is funny how sometimes Finnish phrases and language usages sneak their way into my English. :)