Wednesday, 10 March 2010

Proportions



I am so excited about the weather getting warmer! Every day I watch the snow withdraw from our backyard, an inch at a time. It is actually really warm in the sun, even though the temperature is no more than 10 celcius (52 F). Our cats are nuts about the sun - the veterans Blue and Cassie took their first strolls outside on our back deck yesterday, and Cassie even attempted to walk on the snow this morning - I wish I had had my camera there and then! It's only Blue and Cassie that get to go outside. Their lack of agility and old age pretty much guarantee that they wouldn't attempt to do anything foolish, like visit our next door neighbour's German shepherd.



This cotton bubble skirt is another H&M purchase that has survived a couple of wardrobe purges in the past two years or so. It is not the most practical piece of clothing, but I think it is a lot of fun. Yes, bubble skirts make one look hip-heavy regardless of how scrawny one is but I think that is the whole point. Bubble skirts belong to the same family as shoulder pads - as long as you don't take yourself too seriously, you can pull them off. It is all about having fun with proportions. Clothes like these are tools to trick Mother Nature and what she gave you.


Wool sweater: second hand / Salvation Army
Bubble skirt: H&M
Tights: Sears
Belt: second hand
Shoes: second hand / Fida
Moth necklace: present from Dana
Shell pendant: Petrune Vintage

12 comments:

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

This shade of orange looks beautiful on you. And I love the orange and blue color combo!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Sal said...

I love the silhouette that skirt creates! And I completely agree - for ages I feared pieces that didn't work with my natural assets. Now, I know some garments are about fun, not flattery.

eunice said...

what a cute skirt, and those shoes are amazing! love this outfit! :)

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

SnapandPrint said...

I love the hue of the orange sweater and it looks great matched with the khaki skirt and blue tights.

Jane W. said...

Love the orange and teal, and those pendants are beautiful.

Eyeliah said...

Yes, the bubble skirt is a good look on a thinner hipped gal, honestly I haven't found one yet I can pull off. I like that it is in a classic fabric and tone to keep in from being too trendy.

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Great outfit. I often think about how Victorian bustles and Elizabethan shoulders also exaggerated (seemingly) strange parts, but it made total sense then. Maybe in a few decades folks like look back at our fashions (skinny jeans and suck) and think, "why on earth did they want to fight the female form?"

Charlotte said...

What a happy outfit!

Eline said...

Oh I loove these colours together! And I love bubble skirts too, I like that they make me and others who wear it look "curvier".

Oh and I wanted to ask you! Is The Waves from the Virginia Woolf book? If so, yay! That is one of my absolute favourite books, I can't even tell you...

mirattes said...

You look fabulous in that skirt. And pallet of colors fits you a lot and together with each other.

Milla said...

I love the moth necklace. As for proportions, I admire anyone who has a good sense of it. Often times I'll notice something wrong with what I'm wearing, because I've not payed attention to the shapes of items.

Clare said...

This is SUCH a great outfit. The colors and the proportions work so well for you. The tulip skirt is actually a great silhouette for you. I love it!