Monday, 1 March 2010

Run for Cover


Holy smokes, where did February go? I am still trying to keep in mind it is 2010, not 2009! I have to admit that the past month has probably been the laziest month I have had in ages. I have started projects but finished none. I have decided not to be too hard on myself though. Sometimes productivity just doesn't materialize the way you want, and there isn't an awful lot you can do about it. I will say one thing though: I am so ready for spring already, and the blizzard we had last week brought over a foot of snow. Some of it is melting fast, but I just want to get my bike out. Now.


Entertainment Weekly might not be your frontrunner of women's body image issues, but I was positively surprised when I came across this article in this week's issue:



They had found ten novels featuring way-heavier-then-your-usual-catwalk-model heroines (they include an overweight chef and a 300-pound-woman) but the covers of the novels suggest something quite different. I wonder who was the mastermind behind the unlikely marriage between a book whose title suggest that size 14 isn't fat, and a cover where a model's arms suggest size 0? I wonder what the industry is trying to say here? That the stories of overweight women are welcome, but their pictures are not? That the Bridget Joneses of the world need to get their voice out, but that the world still likes Renee Zellweger skinny?

Wool sweater: second hand / Salvation Army
Brocade skirt: H&M
Leggings: Urban Outfitters
Fish-pattern socks: Target
Shoes: Vagabond

5 comments:

Eyeliah said...

yup, that sounds about right.

SnapandPrint said...

I agree on the mismatch of size for the novels about heavier women and skinny model photos. Who thought that up?

I am loving your shoes. I want a pair!

Clare said...

I've been wanting a skirt like that for ages. I love it!

S. said...

love the skirt and sweater, not so sure about the socks though. =)

Ranna said...

Thanks for sharing the article, it's really intereseting.
It's funny how at first glace the images on the covers combined with the book titles made me completely misintepret the plot. For example title like Big Boned paired with a photo of a very slender woman made me instatly think that the book must be about eating disorders.
The publishers should really think about these things more.

That skirt looks amazing on you, by the way. I tried the same one on at H&M a couple of months ago, but it didn't fit me at all.