Thursday, 4 March 2010

Shadows and Light


Yay, the sun is out! (Judging by my squinty eyes you'd think I haven't seen the sunlight in months.) I have spent the morning listening to the best music that the early 1990s had to offer. I was 13 when R.E.M.'s Out of Time came out in 1991. Before that my music interests had included Kim Wilde and Madonna, and Out of Time was the one album that got me into indie rock. Out of Time and its follow-up the next year, Automatic for the People, were awfully dear to me, but when I started to get into bands like Suede and The Police, R.E.M. sort of shifted to the background. I haven't actively listened to R.E.M. since, but yesterday I felt the need to go back to the two albums that used to mean the world to me. I can't even express how good they sound to me right now. The lyrics open up to me in a completely different level, and it amazes me that I was around when these songs were written, full of teenage angst and searching for the meaning of my existence. That quest for answers continues to this day, but it is no longer as desperate of a search. As I have got older, it no longer troubles me that I don't find the answers. It is the quest that matters, and the music I hear, the love for life that I feel.

Now to something completely different: I promised to write about my yesterday's visit to our downtown thrift shop. Well, the shop pretty much embodies everything that is sad and depressing about the future of thrifting: the serious lack of good-quality clothes. The shop looks cute, the staff was nice, but wow, the amount of fake-leather handbags and worn-out cheap acrylics and polyesters was scary. However, I decided to take my time and not lose hope, and I did end up finding two items worth while, both of which were fresh from the laundry this morning and ready for me to wear: a burgundy wool sweater ($1.95) and a black wool/polyester-mix skirt ($3.95). The colours are perhaps a little dark, but there was something about the shape of the skirt that I fell in love with, and I actually really like burgundy.


I have one more thing to declare today: nothing cheers up your day more than a) listening to good music you had forgotten about, and b) a cat in a box:

Sweater: second hand / Downtown Thrift Shop
Skirt: as above
Tights: H&M
Shoes: John Galliano
Scarf worn as bow: second hand / Aino flea market

13 comments:

a cat of impossible colour said...

Aw, cat in a box! I left a cabinet door open last night, and when I came down this morning Mink was sitting in it, next to the glasses, pretending to be an ornament. I don't know what I'd do without my little cat ... go mad? Start eating my hair? :)

I love the shape of that skirt!

Sal said...

Ahhh, there really is nothing like a cat in a box.

I feel the same way about Indigo Girls that you do about R.E.M. I seldom listen to them, but when I do, I could absolutely drown in the flood memories.

I'm, once again, swooning over those red heels, lady.

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

I looove this color combo! the Raspberry top with the blue scarf is such a rich color combo.

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

Aino flea market. . .Aino was Sibelius's wife's name, wasn't it? I visited his house outside Helsinki. What a lovely place. You'd look right at home there in this outfit, walking under the trees.

SnapandPrint said...

The burgundy sweater is an excellent find. I would have probably totally overlooked it in a thrift store which is sad. I need to get my "thrift eye" finely tuned again.

A cat in a box always makes a day brighter.

Eyeliah said...

Yes, like how I was listening to Phil Collins earlier (yes I am a big fan). :-) REM is awesome oo, a few of there songs are some of my all time favorites.

S. said...

geez how bad it's to not have a good thrift store near you, I'm lucky to have a few golden thrift stores near me, love your outfit. =)

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Sorry to hear that the thrift store was discouraging, but your skirt and sweater are great finds. I'm glad that you rediscovered REM last night.
Cat in a Box: the best natural mood lifter since laughing.

tigerteacher said...

That skirt is just great - love the pleating, the length is wonderful and the fact that it has pockets puts it into a whole new category of awesome! Great score!

wardrobeexperience said...

love those red shoes. galliano?! wow! I'm going green with envy...

xx

http://www.wardrobexperience.blogspot.com/

theowlsarenotwhattheyseem said...

i am a fellow REM fan! they were my favorite band growing up too- i still have a few of their casette tapes, just because looking at them brings back memories. they were also my first big concert.

anyway, very cute outfit today! the scarf at your neck is so pretty, and i like those little red shoes. ~joelle

mirattes said...

The shape of skirt is fabulous ;)
My cat decided to sleepin my boots :)

Clare said...

Those shoes are so great!