I received The Fabulous Sugar Doll Blogger Award from Charlotte a little while ago - thank you Charlotte!
This is how it works: I tell you 10 things about myself, and then send the award to 10 fellow bloggers - it couldn't be simpler!
Here are ten little-known facts about me:
1. When I was little, my dream was to become an ornitologist. I had managed to learn about 200 bird names in Latin by the time I was 12. My dreams came crashing down when I realised that I would have had to do maths and sciences in order to study zoology later in life.
2. I can't wake up unless I have at least two cups of Russian tea in the morning. I don't drink coffee because it gives me palpitations.
3. I get obsessed about the need to know things, and spend forever doing random research on weird topics. Previous obsessions: King Leopold of Belgium, seahorses, chaos theory (did I mention I don't do sciences?), Anais Nin. Current obsession: history of mental asylums.
4. My mother, stepfather, sister and myself lived in Libya in the early 1980s. I don't remember much about it, but every once in a while I get strange deja-vus regarding scents and emotions from those days. For as long as I can remember, I have been told that I didn't recognise my father when I came back to Finland, and even though it wasn't my fault, I still feel bad about it.
5. I always keep a diary when I am unhappy. I haven't kept one since I met my husband.
6. I have an undergraduate degree in Hungarian language, but my command of it is non-existent. I can translate Endre Ady's poetry, but probably wouldn't be able to buy a bus ticket in a coherent manner.
7. My favourite composer is Dmitri Shostakovich.
8. I used to have over 120 pairs of shoes. After several wardrobe purges, I am down to about 60.
9. About five years ago I was determined to become a diplomat. After an internship at Finland's Ministry for Foreign Affairs and intensive studies in London, I became disillusioned about politics and diplomacy, and would never go back to that field again. I am very critical of the current framework of world politics and development aid in particular.
10. I love Paul Newman.