Friday, 12 March 2010

Ten Facts about Me, The Sugar Doll

I received The Fabulous Sugar Doll Blogger Award from Charlotte a little while ago - thank you Charlotte!


This is how it works: I tell you 10 things about myself, and then send the award to 10 fellow bloggers - it couldn't be simpler!

Here are ten little-known facts about me:

1. When I was little, my dream was to become an ornitologist. I had managed to learn about 200 bird names in Latin by the time I was 12. My dreams came crashing down when I realised that I would have had to do maths and sciences in order to study zoology later in life.

2. I can't wake up unless I have at least two cups of Russian tea in the morning. I don't drink coffee because it gives me palpitations.

3. I get obsessed about the need to know things, and spend forever doing random research on weird topics. Previous obsessions: King Leopold of Belgium, seahorses, chaos theory (did I mention I don't do sciences?), Anais Nin. Current obsession: history of mental asylums.

4. My mother, stepfather, sister and myself lived in Libya in the early 1980s. I don't remember much about it, but every once in a while I get strange deja-vus regarding scents and emotions from those days. For as long as I can remember, I have been told that I didn't recognise my father when I came back to Finland, and even though it wasn't my fault, I still feel bad about it.

5. I always keep a diary when I am unhappy. I haven't kept one since I met my husband.

6. I have an undergraduate degree in Hungarian language, but my command of it is non-existent. I can translate Endre Ady's poetry, but probably wouldn't be able to buy a bus ticket in a coherent manner.

7. My favourite composer is Dmitri Shostakovich.

8. I used to have over 120 pairs of shoes. After several wardrobe purges, I am down to about 60.

9. About five years ago I was determined to become a diplomat. After an internship at Finland's Ministry for Foreign Affairs and intensive studies in London, I became disillusioned about politics and diplomacy, and would never go back to that field again. I am very critical of the current framework of world politics and development aid in particular.

10. I love Paul Newman.

I am sending the award to these inspirational blogs:

7 comments:

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Wow, thank you so much for for the blog award! I'm honored!

Eline said...

Oh yay thank you so much! :D

I adore that you kept "an unhappy diary" up until you met your husband, too cute.

wardrobeexperience said...

thank you soo much for the award!
: )

eunice said...

Thanks for the award!!:) your ten things are so interesting!

heyfancypants.blogspot.com

Charlotte said...

Very interesting list, Waves! My blog address has changed so if the notification bounced back, fear not--click on this & it should put you back in good stead.
It's fascinating that you studied Hungarian. Isn't that the single modern language related to Finnish?

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

Waaaoo!! This is so sweet!!! Yai! You have made my day, thank you so much!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Michele said...

Don't worry about number 6. The exact same thing happened to me. If only it were practical to go around translating Serbian poetry. It must be the degrees and not us, right?!