Tuesday, 6 April 2010

The Bad Closet


Judging from this rather boring outfit, the bad closet in question could be mine. However, it is not - I am just having a rough time balancing between the random weather changes that keep going from mid-70s to low 50s in a matter of hours. I just don't know what to wear! Anyway, back to the bad closet. I always wonder whether naming and shaming businesses that disappoint you is a smart thing to do. Although other consumers should be able to hear negative opinions as well as positive ones regarding other's shopping experiences, there is an option to contact the business in question directly, and not vent and rant in public about bad service or overly high prices. I am going to rant a little anyway.



Instead of naming the place in question directly, I am just going to say that there are two "Closets" in our area: one consignment store and one thrift shop that sort of attends to the teenage clientele. Lynn and me went to both this past weekend, but the issues I have concern only the former, the consignment store. It advertises itself as an upscale store that features vintage items and second-hand designer labels. Its mission describes its customers as "discriminating buyers". There is one other high-end vintage shop in town, so I figured that this store must be a decent competitor. I didn't necessarily think that I was going to buy anything there, but I was interested in seeing "real" vintage and designers I couldn't even afford. (Sometimes seeing is enough to be inspired.)

First of all, there was no vintage. None. Their high-end designers ranged from Ann Taylor to Isaac Mizrahi for Target, and Chico's. Not that there is anything wrong with those labels, but if you advertise yourself as a high-end vintage store, I'd think you'd act the part. There were a couple of used Ralph Lauren shirts ($15 each - you'd probably get new ones at TJ Maxx for the same price) and a few pairs of Bruno Magli shoes, but that was it. One pair of leopard print ankle boots were clearly fake Bottega Venetas, unless the fashion house famous for its high-quality leather had decided to go plastic a while back, which I doubt.

Okay, so the store was selling stuff that I wasn't interested in, but I would have been okay with that if it wasn't for the lack of a single hello from the person in the store, who was too busy to gossip with her friend on the phone than attend to her customers, and by the way, Lynn and myself were the only people there. Even after she got off the phone, there was no hello, no how are you doing, no can I help you with something. There was no customer service of any kind. I got the feeling that she thought we weren't good enough for her "high-end vintage". I hate to be ranting like a mad-woman here, but I was really pissed off. Selling stuff under false descriptives is one thing, but bad service is another. Needless to say, I am never going back to that store again.



On a different note: it took about two days of warm weather and sun for this to happen:



Shaved Cassie enjoys the weather:


And meanwhile upstairs, Illusia sits by the window:



Tunic: Sears
Trousers: Max&Co.
Shoes: Vagabond
Watch: 1950s Hamilton, present from Chris

8 comments:

Sal said...

Ugh, there's no excuse for that kind of crummy customer service!

And your version of boring is still fantastically chic, doll.

Eyeliah said...

Sounds like the store was opened by someone who has just no clue! I wouldn't be going back either.

Pretty Little Pictures said...

Having that kind of problem too with the weather changing. Your shaved kitty is sooooooo cute!!! We might need to do that with Mocha when summer hits end of this year. I think it will be too hot for her otherwise.

Modesty is Pretty said...

oh shaved cassie I love her/him!! hehe =D
I think it's like that everywhere, there so much bad customer service even at wal-mart when people are texting instead of doing their job. =S

Charlotte said...

You have gorgeous cats, and I love your shoes.

a cat of impossible colour said...

I get riled up about bad service too. And there's nothing I enjoy more than a good rant!

MELISSA Z. said...

I've just discovered your blog and I like it!

If you want, check out my blog and leave a comment. Thanks a lot.

www.abitoffashion.com

whatiwore said...

You know, I don't have a problem with ranting about businesses. If an employee at a business I usually have good experiences at is rude, then I go ahead and mention it to management or something--but a consistent bad experience? I say rant away and warn away other consumers!