Friday, 7 May 2010

Bad day for peppers

I got up this morning, went downstairs, got ready to water my seedlings, only to realise that all of my pepper seedlings were gone. Gone, as in eaten. (I have tried my best to hide the seedlings in places where our cats couldn't get to them, but I guess I failed.) Of course I was really pissed off about losing my peppers, but all of a sudden I realised that three of our cats were nowhere to be seen, and as I couldn't remember whether the pepper plant could be toxic to pets, I was starting to freak out. After a frantic search I eventually found all three (Audrey was hiding between two sofa cushions and under a massive blanket), and they were all perfectly safe and sound (phew!).

Next I went to our front yard to water my pansies and violas. As the watering can slipped from my grip, and the freezing cold water from the tap attached to our house (as well as from the said watering can) decided to go all sprinkler on me and soak my clothes completely, I felt like I was ready to go back to bed. What is it about some days, when whatever you try, you just don't succeed?


Well, that's life, I guess. Luckily no one got hurt (I decided that peppers don't have feelings), and even though the strongest pepper contenders are out of the picture now, I still have a couple of smaller seedlings left, so all is not lost. Also, my outdoor salads and onions are doing very well indeed!


We had a little visitor in our garden today - meet Mr Cardinal. Cassie tried to catch him, but failed.



Top: Salvation Army dress re-vamped
Cardigan: second hand / Plato's Closet
Trousers: 2or+ by Yat
Shoes: second hand Nine West / Salvation Army
Belt: second hand / flea market
Necklace: second hand / America's Attic

7 comments:

Modesty is Pretty said...

love the espadrilles and the color of cardigan! You know I've been thinking about getting a cat! ha! But I don't know, I'm afraid of committing to a pet, I don't know how hard it is to have a cat and if there will be fur left everywhere...but your cats are so cute and my son is dying to get a pet. Who knows, anyways, I'm glad your mischievous kitties are alright after eating the peppers!

Teenysparkles said...

Funny how vegetables become our babies somehow...everyday I check on ours...and i get really quite peeved with the butterflies laying their vege eating caterpillar eggs on my little plants! I love that cardy and shoes of yours.

Charlotte said...

Great gardening outfit! I love that yellow sweater.
For years I've tried to grow cornflowers & cosmos here, two flowers that grew so profusely at my old house that they were almost weeds. I realized that as soon as the plants came up, the birds ate them. And if they came up a little taller, then the rabbits ate them. For the first time in years, I'm growing them from seed indoors. The temptation to allow them to grow a foot tall before putting them into the garden is great. . .maybe then they'll have a chance to survive, bloom, and reseed!

Eyeliah said...

oh no, those lil brats (lol). Beautiful bird too, glad you caught a photo.

mirattes said...

My seedings is abosolutly out of target zone of my cat and i'm so happy about it. But flowers seems to be tasty for him...

Rad_in_Broolyn said...

Beautiful blouse! I am so impressed with gardening skills (and lovely bird shot!)

Daisy Dukes said...

Thank you for that picture of the cardinal. I have been away from the US for 4+ years and I miss the birds so badly, and especially my old friend the cardinal.

I really appreciated your guest post over at Sal's. You have a fabulous sense of style. I love the way you mix things. I makes me wonder if you are a good cook!