Friday, 4 June 2010

Shoeless Savage

In case I haven't mentioned (at least twice) how much I hate wearing shoes in the summertime, let me be clear: I hate wearing shoes in the summertime. I don't know what it is, but the shoes that fit perfectly and are usually comfortable, become a major nuisance in warm weather. My feet are prone to blisters from shoes that couldn't fit any better. If I could, I'd go barefoot all summer long. It turns out though that other people don't like people who don't wear shoes.



Just a week or so ago an older man threw me out of a countryside coffee shop which was located in a big old dusty barn in the middle of nowhere - you guessed it, because I wasn't wearing shoes. His reason: "hey you, you really should be wearing shoes. Don't blame us if you get splinters." I guess shoeless people are unwanted customers, because they obviously don't have money (if they did, surely they'd buy shoes). Maybe they are hippies. Maybe they spread diseases, even though the crap we carry in the soles of our shoes is probably worse than what is attached to my naked foot. Maybe wearing shoes gives the indication that we are proper citizens. Maybe shoes are a sign of civilization, and I am a savage.


After reading this article in the New York Times Magazine about FiveFingers, I am seriously considering getting a pair, despite the fact that they look horrendous. When people would stare at my ugly FiveFingered feet and cry out "why?", I'd tell them that this is what it has come down to. I'd say that my feet are actually a lot prettier than the FiveFingers, but that no one wants to see them. Naked feet are a no-no, it is as simple as that. Of course, the whole concept of FiveFingers is rather ridiculous. In order to get the feeling of walking without shoes, I'd actually have to wear shoes.





Tops: Urban Outfitters
Pirate trousers: Mango
Scarf: second hand / Fida
Bracelet and earrings: JBL


P.S. In case you are in Ithaca tomorrow, come say hello to Lynn and me! We are selling Lynn's handmade jewellery at the craft show. Look for JBL Designs, and there we'll be!

12 comments:

Modesty is Pretty said...

will you be wearing shoes? hehe just kidding! You know I've seen signs at restaurants that say "No shoes, No Shirt, No service" I guess you are not the only one that doesn't like to wear shoes. However it would be too painful in the summer Texas heat to walk outside barefoot, your feet would burn. My feet get swollen during the summer, I usually wear sandals though. I've seen people wear those funny looking shoes. Good luck on the sale.

Dorky Medievalist said...

Those look like driving gloves for your feet. Your feet are much much prettier without driving gloves.

I am the opposite of you as I have slight OCD re: the cleanliness of my feet (not that you have dirty feet, I am just weirdly vigilant and I have grubby floors; I am even more ridiculous at the beach.). I wear slippers at all times and often wash my feet throughout the day. I do, however, go sockless in shoes all summer and I love sandals. And baby wipes for my feet.

mirattes said...

I also like shoesless days especially on the grass. No one understands me :)

a cat of impossible colour said...

When I was a kid I was barefoot all the time. I am proud of my tough, calloused soles. :)

That headscarf is lovely!

Anonymous said...

You neeeeed to come live in Finland!! Together we, bare-footed sisters will be stronger, hahaa. And also, I think it's (at least for now)a little bit more acceptable here, 'cause we are the mystic, nordic, isolated forest people, aren't we??? ;)
Sis

Eyeliah said...

Vibrams are amazingly comfortable, the closet you can get to bare feet. I say go for it!

Kaye said...

I'm a fellow lover of bare-footedness. I actually went all of Friday shoeless (one, because they were wet, and two because I'll take any excuse not to wear shoes) and somehow managed to not get yelled at, which is definitely a rareity. One person told me it was unsanitary, and another told me to be careful twice, but no one actually reprimanded me this time. It's true, though--people just don't like feet.
When I was younger, it was my goal in life to become a hobbit, so I'd purposely walk over gravel barefoot to toughen the soles of my feet. I kid you not, I was a weird kid.

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons really wide bellbottom jeans were popular during the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s. Lots of people going barefoot, easier to get away with it....

Jane W. said...

Yeah, those shoes are beyond hideous, having seen them in person. And the Mary Jane "styling" doesn't help. Have fun in Ithaca!

katy said...

i have a pair of five fingers - the 'sprint' model in khaki/putty (greenish and grayish)- nice and neutral and not at all as attention grabbing as my husband's red pair!
they're super comfy, suitably quirky, but if you were to get a pair definitely try them on first, i ended up with a smaller pair than normal shoes because i have short feet, but wide enough to have to get an extra half size most of the time.

threadphones.net said...

love that head scarf on you. totally cute.

Leroy said...

Well you are not alone. Check out society of barefoot living. Www.barefooters.org there are many like minded folks that hate shoes as much as you do and there are plenty of information be bunking myths in regards to health and safety issues.