Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Slug Wars

I have been a little absent-minded recently. The World Cup (or any international football event) does this to me every time: I spend all my time watching football (I refuse to use to word 'soccer').

In addition there is the gardening project, which has taken an ugly turn. I have found myself in the midst of Snail Wars of the Worst Kind. Not only did my spinach and lettuce bolt in the heat a few weeks back, but whatever was left was devoured by the slimy suckers, regardless of the presence of multiple beer traps. As I ripped my bolted, ravaged greens off the ground today, I discovered anywhere from 30 to 40 slugs under the leaves that were still there, plus a dozen or so in the beer traps. It was not a pretty sight. Even beans and peas are under attack, which to me sounds odd. It seems that the only survivors are the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the onions and the zucchinis, for now anyway. I might also be able to salvage some of the broccolis and beans, but that remains to be seen. I was hoping to go all organic with whatever pest-fighting issues might arise, but the beer traps are simply not doing enough. I might get some copper wire tomorrow, to see if that might work. I really don't want to start using industrial pesticides just yet.


With all the going-ons, I have felt less than inspired to dress well. It turns out that a simple shirt with a pair of jeans works pretty well for days like these. Feels effortless enough, at least, and sometimes that is all I want.


Shirt: Izod
Jeans: Denimbirds

11 comments:

Eline said...

I absolutely love that simple look on you. Tight pale jeans is one of the things I wish I could wear (but sadly I don't feel comfortable in trousers and I can't even find a pair that fits!). Looks indeed effortless!

Too bad about your gardening. The only thing I've tried to garden is sunflowers and they always get eatin by snails after 5 weeks or so. Not one has ever survived :(

Anonymous said...

Now you're looking like a real American! :)

Modesty is Pretty said...

You look so comfy in your outfit, in Mexico they call it futbol too and it's much bigger deal than American Football (which is what that one is called). I haven't watched and don't even have the slightest idea of who'splaying (no TV) but I remember the old days in high school when we would get together with friends and watch futbol and scream "Gool" everytime our team scored. Good old times, futbol does bring good memories to me.

Sal said...

Ugh! Slugs!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried coffee grounds to repel the slugs? I have read that this works, never tried it though. You can get bags of used grounds from most coffee shops for free. It's good for the soil, too.

-tarynkay

Charlotte said...

Diatomacious earth is also a way to combat the little buggers--encircle each plant with a ring of the stuff (which is non-toxic, it's just ground-up shell)and the slugs don't return. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Now you look like a real American! :)

Becky said...

Cute outfit!

Slugs are crazy. For such little guys, they sure can eat a lot...

Eyeliah said...

Your poor garden!! I am sad :-(

tigerteacher said...

So cute and simple!
And sorry about the slugs!

wardrobeexperience said...

it's so simple... but really cute.

my granny told me some things to do against snails... but nothing against slugs.