Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Blue with books

Sorry about the blurry pictures, I don't know what happened! Since I am wearing blue today, it is time for some of my favourite blue books. Just a couple of words about organizing books by colour: I have been doing it for a while, and have found it to be the perfect system. It seems that I always tend to remember not just the colour of the cover, but also of the spine. I could see the arrangement becoming potentially problematic if I acquire loads of new books though - say, if I had an entire bookshelf of red books. Anyway, my books are now stacked away at my mother's apartment in Helsinki, not by colour, and it took me forever to find what I was looking for. For example, blue books that are missing from this list include the diaries of Helvi Hämäläinen and Virginia Woolf, and Kolakowski's Main Currents of Marxism, Vol 2. I know they are blue, but they are packed away in boxes and I couldn't find them!

Anyway, my first blue pick is Orwell's 1984. I was seduced by the book early on, and it got me interested in politics and totalitarian regimes, and how to overcome them. Consequently I studied post-communist politics for four years.

My second choice is Frantz Fanon's Wretched of the Earth. I haven't actually read this Finnish translation, but the English translation was required reading when I studied the history of colonialism. Reading this book kick-started my process of becoming very critical of development aid and the neo-colonial world we still live in.


Conrad's Heart of Darkness is a magnificient study of humanity falling into abyss.



My fourth pick is Sagan's Bonjour tristesse, just because of the sun and the sea.



Top: second hand / Fida
Skirt: vintage Laura Ashley, Tuuli's old
Kitty cat brooch: Tuuli's old
Shoes: second hand / Fida
Bracelet: Hietsu flea market

P.S. An odd thing happened today: Blogger notified me of several comments that had been sent ages ago. I hope no one was thinking that I wasn't publishing them on purpose!

7 comments:

Modesty is Pretty said...

Waves I think there's been some problems with blogger not showing the all the comments, this has happened to me and I saw a lady comment about that in another blog. Just yesterday some comments popped up from a few days ago. I love your outfits by color, yesterday the green skirt, today the blue, looking fowrds to the other colors. I won't lie to try to seem knowledgeable, I have no idea about some of the things that you read, but I'm impressed! My son loves, LOVES to read and the house is full of books, his and mine, I know one day we'll be discussing how to arrange his books. =)

tigerteacher said...

How great you look! I'm coveting that kittycat pin! I recently read Middlesex and want to read more Eugenides - maybe Virgin Suicides next library trip!

Promethean Heat said...

I am so happy to find your blog. Few people I know care about clothes in the way you seem to. They are always a status symbol, an identity to fit into, and not the other way around. As you wrote a few posts ago, I too am always looking to create some kind of signature style, a concise kind of wardrobe, that somehow represents everything I am. But now I think its alright if that doesn't happen. You seem to have fun with your clothes. In a way that is not costumy, not a trying on of identities or masks, but an inner playfulness.You look comfortable, and clean and happy, in the best possible way.

Sal said...

That cat brooch is darling! The entire outfit is, in fact. And I'm loving the color/book series.

A-Dubs said...

'Love your blue mixing here, and thanks for the tips on book organization. For those of who orient ourselves visually (instead of numerically, or alphabetically, or some other concrete sequential means), this makes perfect sense! I'm heading home later to re-organize my things accordingly.

Charlotte said...

Your color system seems to work well for you, Waves. I'm fascinated by it. Visual orientation works in many ways--when my books are "out of order," as when we've just moved & put things on the shelves just to get them out of boxes, they look "wrong" to me. Then when they're alphabetized & back in sync, they look "right."
Monochromatic color schemes can be so soothing. They give off a sense that all is right with the world.

Aury said...

I'm so sure that the fact you remember your books based on colour says something about your learning/memory style, but I seriously can't remember right now. When I do, I'll let you know.

Love that kittypin. It's too cute!