Thursday, 29 July 2010

My Mother's Place

My mother and stepfather moved far away to the countryside about two years ago. It had been their dream for a while to go back to their roots, to live in the area where their own parents and/or grandparents were born. My siblings and I had a really hard time seeing them go. To this day we have been making fun of the countryside, its people and the lack of cultural activities, probably out of jealousy and fear of loss. For a while a part of me thought that if I dismissed my mother's love for the place long enough, they would perhaps move back to Helsinki. It is now obvious that it will not happen. They made their dream come true: they now live in a big house by a lake, listening to the whispers of their ancestors, and they are surrounded by all the peace and quiet they could ever want.

After having visited them for a few days, I decided that from now on, I will stop insisting that their decision to move was the wrong one. (I will, however, reserve the option to make fun of it all, especially during the moments when I miss my mother.) They seem truly happy, and I guess in these surroundings it would be difficult not to be.



Dress: H&M, Tuuli's old
Belt: mom's old

5 comments:

Sal said...

I'm an urban girl myself, but the country life definitely holds an appeal. Glad you're warming up to the new house!

Modesty is Pretty said...

wow, it seems like a beautiful place from the pictures, I live in a city but I'd love to live in the country, with it's simplicity and lack of cultural activites, I'd do it in a heartbeat! =D

Teenysparkles said...

Oh, those photos....no wonder your parents moved there. I'm a conundrum myself...I like peace and quiet and wide open spaces; but also the frantic nature of the city and cafes and people...

Charles said...

those photos are absolutely stunning! I can't help but feel drawn to the rural side of life despite my suburban surroundings. I'd ditch the mall for a starry night sky any day of the week.

Charlotte said...

This interior is so serene. What a fabulous shade of blue! And you look so fresh standing there. I'll bet your parents are so happy to see you.