Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Yellow with books

My first yellow book is Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited. So what if the author came to dislike his own work later on (he was "appalled" after re-reading it in 1950) - I still love it. Whenever I see Brideshead Revisited at a bookstore, I always feel the need to buy it. I have two in English and one in Finnish, and I will probably buy more of them if I find a cover I really like.


My second pick is The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. It was recommended to me by my former flatmate Izumi, who studied neurology back in the day. The book is full of interesting (true) stories about our brain, about how it works, and how disturbances in our brain can change the way we see the world and ourselves.


Next up is Elfriede Jelinek's The Piano Teacher. This is one of those uncomfortable books that I am glad I read but would never want to re-visit.




My last yellow choice is István Örkény's One Minute Stories. It was one of the first books I was able to read in Hungarian, and it has a very special place in my heart. The stories are superbly humorous, sometimes absurd or grotesque. If you like short stories by Daniil Kharms, you will love Örkény. Speaking of Kharms, a collection of his short stories would have been a part of this post - it is yellow - but I couldn't find it.



Stripy tee: second hand / Salvation Army
Cardigan: Zara
Silk wrap skirt: Hietsu flea market
Unicorn brooch and necklace: Tuuli's old

7 comments:

Modesty is Pretty said...

Well you look amazing again, that pop of blue is a great choice and the combination of patterns genious! I'd love to read te book about the Man who mistook his wife for a hat, that seems down the alley of what I like to read. Ths piano teacher I didn't read but I saw the movie, it was interesting but I can't say I loved it. =)
How did you learn English? Is it a requirement in Finland? In Mexico students are required to take English from K all through college. I was just wondering because I see a lot of titles in Enlgish. =)
Also how are your cats doing? odd question I know but I was so used to seeing them on your posts =)

Charlotte said...

Do you find Hungarian and Finnish as similar as they're reported to be? There are not many yellow books on my shelves. Your color catalog has made me notice that book jackets are often blue. Is it because blue is so often one's favorite color?

Charlotte said...

And also. . .I love the print on your skirt.

Sarah said...

Love your style. So unique and classy. I love how you mixed so many different patterns but yet it worked together so well!

http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

Vasiliisa said...

I love Örkény - I learned the basics of Hungarian but then dropped out, so I read him in Finnish (no Charlotte, Finnish and Hungarian are not similar at all!).

What I meant to ask, tho, was: were you in Seurasaari yesterday? I thought I saw someone a lot like you but I was with 2 nieces, trying to catch the bus, so I didn't have the chance to say hi :)

Skyline Eyes said...

I love these book posts. The print on that skirt is really pretty (:
x

Anonymous said...

How many bandaids you wear?