Monday, 4 October 2010

Updates


I wore this on Saturday in Ithaca; I tagged along to help Lynn sell her jewelry at the Apple Fest. Ithaca is such a great town. I loved seeing the eclectic mix of people and personal styles I grew accustomed to in the bigger European cities, or New York. On top of that, no one stared at me. I felt like I fitted in somehow. Spending time in Ithaca for two days made me realise that I have sorely missed hanging about an environment that fosters forward-thinking people. For example, I don't think I have seen a single bi-racial or gay couple after moving to Binghamton last year. I have been to Ithaca several times now, but for the first time, I actually felt frustrated about having to go back to Binghamton. To jump from a young and vibrant town to a dying, segregated and conservative one, I felt sad. There was, and is, no way denying it.

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind wishes regarding our cat Cassie. She is doing a lot better, thanks to us finally finding a vet who figured out what was wrong with her. It wasn't liver or kidney failure, thank god, but a really bad gland infection that three other vets missed. Cassie is on antibiotics, and more or less back to her grumpy self.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their comments to my previous post about books and Kindle. Ironically, I have spent a fair bit of time during the past week browsing the Internet, looking for publications that are out of print and way too expensive to purchase on EBay or through secondhand bookstores. I have found a couple of great online sources to access old issues of The American Journal of Insanity (now The American Journal of Psychiatry). It seems that even to a diehard fan of old-fashioned print, there is room for progress after all.

Dress: Zara, 2007ish
Cardigans (I am wearing two, it was cold): Lindex and Benetton
Tights: H&M
Suede OTK boots: small shop in Reggio Emilia, 2009
Necklace: second hand / Petrune Vintage, 2010

Last but not least: Carrots in Love


14 comments:

Mel said...

Really like your outfit.

The carrots are cute ;)

xo, Mel

gina said...

Cute outfit! Living in a dying, backwards, conservative little town can be very draining. I feel for you there.

A-Dubs said...

I also REALLY LIKE your outfit, especially those lush boots and the perfection of the gold bird necklace and waist design against the soft neutrals of your dress and cardigans! You must be soooo relieved that Cassie's on the mend; I hope she (and you) continue to feel better.

Also, do you have to stay in your tiny, frustrating town? Is relocation a possibility for you and your partner?

jesse.anne.o said...

I am glad to hear about Cassie.

I second A-Dubs' question (if you can second a question) - any possibility of moving? I wouldn't be able to hack it.

Charles said...

those carrots are adorable and I love your necklace and dress :) xx

Modesty is Pretty said...

ha! those carrots are insane! =D
Your outfit is very cool, very stylish. I've been meaning to send you something I got, it's some little kitty earrings I found at a garage sale, I don't know if you'd be interested I bought them thinking to give them to you because you are the only person I "know" that has so many cats and I really enjoy reading about them and their personalities on your blog,if you want them send me an email sheilla78 at hotmail.
I'm glad the kitty is better, I had a dog once and I lover her so much, when she passed (killed by a car) I cried so much, ever since then I've been agraid of getting another pet, it's been a lot of years...
Anyways, I'm glad your cats are doing well. =)

Anonymous said...

Hei pikkulintu!

Fly home little bird! Take the cats and mister C, come live under the northern skies... I'm not saying that this city is sooo vibrant or young, but there's something that sets your soul free here, don't you think? Most of the finns are saying right now: "Oh no, the light is fading, the long, oh so long and dark winter is on it's way..." But still, I think they are secretly (or like myself, openly) looking forward to welcome the cold sea-breeze, hopefully snow, candle light, woollen socks, reading a tons of books, hibernating... There's something special, even mystical about really having all four seasons.
By the way, there's a huge difference between our (yours and mine ;) old suburbs and Kallio, when it comes to vibrant or sleepy & tired neighborhoods.. And Kallio is also so different from that time 15 years ago when I used to live here. I'm so happy that I decided to move, it does wonders to your spirit when you find a place where you fit in! And no-one stares at me!!!

Misss youuu...
Sis.

mirattes said...

Great outfit! fits you perfect. And for the record those shoes ar amazing!

melina bee said...

wow those carrots are really in the throes of passion, aren't they?
love your outfit, you look like a woodland nymph

gingerR said...

Did you belt the sweaters or add a scarf?

It's fallen into the 50s here and I'm ready to have a hat, scarf and gloves!

I'm sure by next spring these temps would have me out in shorts and a t-shirt, but right now it's brrrrr.

tigerteacher said...

I'm glad your kitty is on the mend. My dog has the same issue - not infection (luckily) but we have do have to "express" her glands of fluid to prevent infection from time to time. As you can imagine, it's not a fun task for us or for her...and I fear I may be oversharing here. :-/

Our vet recommended increasing her fiber intake to help her express the fluid on her own which we have done with sometimey (not really a word :-) but it is a local favorite here in Philly!) success by giving her a spoonful of canned pumpkin here and there as a treat. I wonder if your vet would recommend a dietary fiber increase?

Anonymous said...

It looks as though the Big Carrot is carrying the Smaller Carrot over a threshold...it seems as though they have just been married! (Will there be little Baby Carrots on the way soon??? :)
AND...sorry I didn't carry you over our threshold, dearest!!! The Big Carrot must have a healthier back than I do!!! :) oxox, CR

Anonymous said...

ps--mister C would LOVE to fly to Finland, and its northern skies, miss T!!! CR

Sheila said...

What a lovely outfit! I adore your boots.

Have you tried AbeBooks for hard-to-find editions? They are awesome.