Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Injured, on eBay


Indian cotton dress: Intian Basaari
Cardigan: Benetton sample sale
Tights: Target
Boots: Urban Outfitters, circa 2003

Last Friday morning I got out of bed, stretched, and then realised that I couldn't move my head. A sharp pain ripped through the right side of my upper body, from between my spine and the shoulder blade, all the way to my fingertips. (Yes, it must have been quite a stretch.) For two days Chris had to help me get dressed, and I am still having trouble lifting things, and my right side still aches. At least I can move my head again, which is nice.

Since there has to be something better to do than whine and feel sorry for oneself when one encounters injury, for the past couple of days I have entertained myself with the help of eBay. I soon got to finding things I had no idea I wanted: a bright turqoise embroided hippie vest (someone wanted to pay way more than I did)! A mustard-yellow suede spy-coat (I didn't have time to take measurements before the auction closed)! A sequined short-suit (not nearly as bad as it sounds)! A watch manufactured in the Soviet Union to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the ending of the Great War! There is so much stuff on eBay, and the whole bidding process is nerve-wrecking, even if I am not the one bidding. The website is dangerous, I tell you. I am not going back, at least for a while.

7 comments:

tigerteacher said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! It's funny how your own body can startle you with something it suddenly won't do!

And I too have found all sorts of oddball stuff on ebay that I urgently NEEDED. I recently bought a 1920s era pincusion/thread holder that is shaped like a flapper's head - how could I pass it up once I knew of its existance? I also bought a photo of Edith Head to adorn my sewing room, hoping that some of her magic might visit me and my machine, I guess.

I know shopping isn't the best way to stave off the winter blues. But for having only spent about $20 on items that gave me a spark when I found them and (this is key, I guess) continue to give me a charge when I see them, it seems it was worth it. I have an ebay app on my phone and I have deleted it a couple of times. And reinstalled it a couple of times. :-)

The Russian watch is just awesome!

Sal said...

Holy crap, lady are on the mend? Did you consult a doc? What a scare!

The Waves said...

tigerteacher: I can see myself getting into serious trouble with eBay, so I really have to be careful... So far I haven't been awfully bad though, because it seems that other people are better in bidding than I am. But I did win that sequined short-suit. It is totally crazy but adorable! What about the GAAD, I hear you ask? Oops...

Sal: Scare, indeed! All you need is a slightly pinched nerve and your system malfunctions in a rather radical manner! I might need some physical therapy at some point, but we'll see. So far I am recovering at a promising speed...

Rad in BK said...

Sorry to hear about your ouch, Waves. You're like the third person I know this month who pinched a neck nerve. Glad to hear you're doing better.
Um, I may need that watch. How emotionally wedded to it are you?

Shey said...

On Waves, I hope you get better, I've never felt such pain except for the cramps I used to get in my legs a long time ago, but I can't imagine not being able to move my head. I love your outfit, your boots are awesome and I'm glad you're wearing them, and your cat is so precious, I can't believe I wasn't a cat person before, it look me a couple of weeks to fall in love with my Jingles, but it all started with your ebautiful cats that are always making themselves into the pictures hehe =D

The Waves said...

Rad: Go for it! I was considering buying it for my brother, actually, but I have plenty of other contestants in the mix. I really like the design of this one and it has the undeniable cool factor going on, but it looks rather beat up, so I think I'll pass.

Charlotte said...

I'm glad the injury is only painful and not serious, Waves. I hope you feel better soon.

eBay is dangerous, and I have 485 stars to prove it. However, I've gotten some great stuff for a fraction of what it would've cost retail. Only Goodwill lures me more strongly.