Friday, 18 February 2011

An Ode to Hel-Looks



I found myself browsing through Hel-Looks last night, all the way to the days when the streetstyle site opened back in 2005. I flick through other streetstyle sites occasionally, but Hel-Looks has a special place in my heart these days. I used to be amused by it: the people's styles there tend to be weird, sometimes outrageous, even unflattering. I have found intense appreciation for Hel-Looks recently. I really miss seeing people on the street wear clothes that are different.


Okay, so perhaps some of the cool hipsters on Hel-Looks only got dressed for a crazy party, and some of them do seem a little pretentious in the little interview that accompanies every picture. But I love the fact that Hel-Looks is not like other streetstyle sites, where it seems that every person is trying to channel the latest trends or the It-shoes of the season. Say what you like about the personal styles of these people, but at least they are doing something that makes me smile.



Hel-Looks also makes me miss Helsinki, in a good way. I sometimes forget that in the midst of the armies of teenagers and young adults who wear leggings as pants and jersey tunics as dresses, there are interesting subcultures and plenty of people in Helsinki who have a unique personal style. Sometimes it might look forced, but that is okay. At least everyone doesn't look the same. I miss Helsinki. The summertime pictures - they go straight to my heart. The way the sky is blue like nowhere else, how you can tell that people don't quite know what to wear because they are so used to cold weather.




This picture is my current favourite. It was probably taken at an outdoor music event. I love the girl's hair, the Ramones t-shirt teamed with the plaid shirt, the boots, the green of her trousers and the park, the simplicity of the whole image.



All pictures: Hel-Looks

8 comments:

Shey said...

I like Hel-looks and yes their style is different and unique, when I first started visiting Hel-Looks the fisrt thing that called my attention was that many of these young people thrifted their clothes, you can still say thrift stores here and find some people that shriek about the thought of wearing used clothes, however the people in Hel-looks they all seemed so cool with their thrifted clothes. I also agree with many of the street style blogs showing off the latest trend and brand. I also noticed on Hel-looks that the people photographed look like normal people, of all sizes and shapes unlike other street style blogs which only limit their pictures to tall thin girls and good looking men.

Milla said...

Hahha! Love it. I have a post much like this stored up for some unbloggy busy week (I guess I should have used it this week.), an ode to the most amazing, original street style site of all. Thank you.

metscan said...

I am not at all a fan of Hel-Looks ; )! Every now and then, but seldom, I visit the site. Do these people even exist? I am in Helsinki 2-3 times a week, but either I am blind, or I walk in areas where all I see is people dressed in no special way. What strikes me though, is that so many of us are actually obese. All this has happened in only a few years. The last report I heard in the news was a relief though. Seems, that the peak of obesity has been reached, and we are on our way downwards.
Maybe I am just too mature to look at Hel-Looks objectively, maybe I am too conservative. I don´t know. The pictures you chose to show, are not like the majority, you managed to pick the best ones : )!!

Teenysparkles said...

Hel-looks is definitely one of the more original of the street-chic sites. You're right, the last girl in the Ramones tee is very cute.

Michele said...

I love Hel Looks too! I don't take anything like an active interest in fashion, and you're right that a lot of the interviews come off as really pretentious, but the stories are nice. I like reading about the image people are trying to create of themselves, or just the story of the clothing itself and what's special to its wearers.

Charlotte said...

Pure nostalgia for the city led me to Hel-Looks a few years ago, and I enjoy the photos, the unusual combinations of clothes, and the glimpses of Helsinki in the background. So many of the featured people thrift their clothes, and I like that as well. It's one of my favorite style blogs!

Caroline Ergy Erg said...

Ahh, i love this website too! The ones you chose are really nice, i like the last one too :D
xxxxxx

Eline said...

Yes! This was the first fashion/style blog I ever came across and since then nothing ever beat its amazingness! People on there have FUN with clothes and regardless of what it looks they wear it so convincingly that it looks always awesome to me!