Friday, 11 February 2011

Tilda Inspiration

In I am Love, Tilda Swinton (one of my very few style heroines) looks stunning in her Jil Sander wardrobe. It took me forever to find a picture of the ensemble I loved the most: a pair of bright orange trousers and a babyblue shirt. The colour combination is unexpected but amazingly fresh. I don't have orange trousers or a babyblue shirt, so I teamed up my mustard cords with Chris's old shirt.




I got to thinking about style icons. I have never fully got my head around loving someone else's style so much that I'd want to essentially look like that person by wearing the same clothes. Inspiration is one thing, but copying is another. I never understood why people went so crazy over Kate Moss's Topshop line, for example.

I admire Tilda Swinton's style because it is so out there. She makes bold choices. She wears the types of clothes no one else could possibly pull off. In a world of celebrities who all somehow look the same, she stands out. I don't, however, want to wear what she wears. I simply don't have the balls. But the orange trousers and the blue shirt do look delicious, and I suddenly find myself wanting to wear those colours together. I wish I had come up with the combination myself. I will also confess that I am tempted to dye my hair red. The thought has simmered in my head for a while, to only now emerge to the level of "should I?".


Shirt: Chris's old
Cardigan: Urban Outfitters
Cords: J. Crew
Boots: Bianco
Glasses: Prada

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been teaming up AN AWFULLY LOT OF MY OLD SHIRTS in your outfits lately, dearest!!!!! :) oxox, CR

Anonymous said...

Yes, red hair would be amazing...also, if it helps, I can dye it for you some night when you are sleeping..............................................? oxox, CR

Anonymous said...

ps--I am sorry, I do not own any orange pants....oxox, CR

Anonymous said...

Joo! Sellanen haalea mandariini..granaattiomena...vaaleenpunaista shampanjaa ja pommacia sekaisin, sellanen kullanvaaleapuna! Innostuu heti, haluiaisi itsekin voida, mutta on liian tumma luonnostaan... Sulle vois käydä, mietin vaa et onnistuisko ilman vaalennusta (muistanet edelliskerran), mut ehkä raidottamalla näkymättömästi vois onnistua..Pus!
sis.

K.Bean said...

I don't think one can go wrong when using Tilda Swinton as a style icon, and your outfit proves that.

Terri said...

Have you ever been red before? In terms of height and fairness you physically resemble Tilda to my eye already.

Eyeliah said...

I do dream of bright pants, not really suited to a pear shape gal I've never donned a pair. I should really just do it anyway and red for you? why not! I'd be fun :) I quite enjoy Tildas outrageous and fabulous style.

Anonymous said...

I loved Tilda Swinton until she signed the Roman Polanski petition. Still, very interesting style choices.