Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Good news and Fluevogs


Good news! Today's New York Times reported on a bunch of clothing retailers joining their forces to form "Sustainable Apparel Coalition", which will develop a database that tracks down and rates the environmental impact of their garment manufacturing processes. According to the article, "the coalition hopes to produce a label that would share some version of [sustainability] score with shoppers, giving them a much more detailed view into the supply of fabrics, zippers, dyes, threads, buttons and grommets that come together to form the clothing they buy, as well as what impact the creation of that clothing has on both people and the planet." In the coalition are, among others, J.C. Penney, Wal-Mart, H&M, Timberland and Patagonia.



These great Fluevog lace-ups are so sturdy that they almost have the same feel as ice-skates or skiing boots. I went with the ski theme, braided my hair like an Alpine Heidi, wore a men's sweater (I am really feeling men's sweaters these days - the sleeves are long enough!) and the Diesel trousers that kind of look like ski pants. And then some florals and lipstick. Okay, so my style references are all over the place. What do I care, the sun is out!


Men's sweater: Kohl's
Blouse: second hand Cacharel, Salvation Army
Trousers: Diesel
Lace-ups: John Fluevog

P.S. Paging commentator Jane W.! My sister-in-law Dana thinks she might know you from her senior year in college; you might have lived on the same floor with her, but back then you would have been called Jane O.

9 comments:

Rad in BK said...

Cute shoes!
I am curious about this label, but suspicious as well. So far, it looks promising, but the major concern than many critics have is that if corporations create codes, not in conjunction with NGOs, unions, and environmental groups, it becomes a "fox in the henhouse" issue. Who does the auditing, monitoring, and designation of the standards? Are the complaint mechanisms? Is it a process or outcomes oriented standard? The International Labor Rights Fund has criticized a corporate-led "eco" flower label, which is actually just a Colombian flower company's attempt to fix bad public relations.
I've been spending a lot of time scratching my head over different company's Corporate Social Reponsibility regimes. Even if no publications come out of it, I do love the learning.

wardrobeexperience said...

love your braided hair.

Teenysparkles said...

Very pretty! If i were longer in my torso i would totally wear men's sweaters...but I'm not so cannot! Love the braids. I'm all for sustainable fashion....

JRose said...

Your hair looks beautiful.

Anya said...

Beautiful braid. I have been wanting for so long to have that. Can you pretty please show us how?

Jane W. said...

You are married to Dana's Chris!!! That's unbelievable. Dana and I dated (and bemoaned) two dorky boys who were friends.

I was Jane O. back then--Jane Opera. That is unreal.

Terri said...

What a wonderful initiative.

Admiring the portrait--the braid, the pale complexion and the bright red lips.

jesse.anne.o said...

I don't know how I missed this post previously! I am also slightly suspect over this, but not even for the same reasons Rad is (although she brings up good points)!

I feel like I've seen this mentioned several times, by several groups and it's such a behemoth job that it never gets done.

I am in love with those shoes. I don't think I've ever seen you with lipstick on? It looks very pretty - of course, you are pretty regardless!

Eline said...

Okay, mindless comment, but I just really need to say that you look absolutely stunning in these colours! This entire outfit is perfect, and I also love your lipstick especially paired with that purple.

Also totally psyched about that database!