Wednesday, 13 April 2011

How to beat spring cold


I have a spring cold. Yesterday I lounged around in an oversized hoodie and sweatpants and felt like crap. Today I decided to pull myself together. I still feel like crap, but at least a monster isn't staring back at me from the mirror. For the past two days I have been spending way too much time a) watching The Office non-stop on DVD, b) browsing through fancy style blogs and feeling unstylish, and c) feeling sorry for myself because my tomato seeds are not germinating. Today I decided to a) read books, b) enjoy the way I dress, no matter how unpolished and uncool it might be, and c) appreciate my alive-and-well broccoli seedlings. I also decided to brush up the look of the blog a little. So long, the cannibals and dusky belles header, and welcome, the floor plan of the old Binghamton insane asylum! There is something to be said about the power of getting dressed.

I had been looking for dream catcher earrings for some time. There are plenty of them out there on Etsy and eBay, but I waited until I found the perfect ones. I am very pleased with myself for not buying anything before I found exactly what I wanted. The earrings arrived today from CucumberWind, an awesome Etsy shop, which is on vacation right now. (They'll be back in action in May.)

The ring is from America's Attic, a local shop that has an extensive selection of vintage jewelry. Lynn bought a bunch of scrap jewelry, found the ring in the bag, and gave it to me. Yay!


These are the books I am reading. I had been waiting for the reprint of Samuel Edward Dole Shortt's Victorian Lunacy (originally published in 1986) to come out since late last year, and I finally got my copy. The book reflects the trends of Anglo-American practice of psychiatry through the eyes of Richard M. Bucke, a prominent Canadian psychiatrist and superintendent of the London Asylum in Ontario. My other pick is Rachel Pollack's Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom. I was looking for a no-nonsense book on the Tarot, and this one was highly recommended by many, including Charlotte, whom I partly blame for my sudden fascination with Tarot.



I am wearing an old cardigan from a Benetton sample sale, a Target t-shirt, thrifted camouflage shorts and lace-up boots from Urban Outfitters. I stole the scarf from Chris.

10 comments:

The Mingling Single said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment - I really appreciate it.

Also, I just wanted to say that I don't think your style is at all unpolished or uncool. This outfit is very cool and I wish I could pull it off!

Maytheweed said...

Having recently found your blog I just wanted to say - you're not uncool! In fact you remind me that clothes can be fun and express personality - something I've lost sight of in recent years.

P.S Your cat Blue looks a lot like my cat Ridcully.

Teeny said...

Hope you get better very soon! The other day i encouraged myself to be braver with what i wear - and you were the inspiration. You always look original and chic - not awkward or uncool. Good luck with the tomat-ies...it will happen. We did well for brocolli in the winter because they like the cold I hear..so I'm surprised you have them popping up in Spring!

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! That's my scarf!!!!! :) CR

Anonymous said...

"Ihme hippi!" ;)
lavjuu, sis.

Madeline Quaint said...

Oh, you're growing broccoli? You're officially my hero. I love broccoli. To bits. :)

You know, when I got into the "I'm not a cool blogger enough" mood, your blog was one of the reasons I started to cheer up and enjoy mine. Your style is great, and I adore that big jumper!

And the new header too! :)

Terri said...

Oh, the combination of the long cardigan with the scarf and delicious earrings is wonderful. I would never have guessed that you aren't feeling well.

Charlotte heightened my interest in the Tarot as well--from the archetype point of view.

Titine and totoche said...

Hello!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog :)!
And noooo, you're not uncool, I'm really glad I found your blog!
Also, I really like your pants, and how you've styled them, the scarf look so soft.
Finally, very interesting book selection!

Jennefer said...

If you are interested in Tarot I highly recommend Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning and Pictures from the Heart by Sandra Thompson. Both are very helpful and interesting books.

xoxo
Jennefer
www.practicex3.com

Ruby Girl said...

really cool outfit. i love those earrings! <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com