Sunday, 3 April 2011

Let the Gardening Project begin! Vol. 2

One of the mistakes I made with my first ever veggie garden last year was planting leafy greens too late. I didn't get much of a crops before the weather got too hot and everything bolted. Either last spring was exceptionally warm, or this one has been colder than usual. Either way, I was planning on getting things on track much earlier this year, but since we just barely got rid of the snow this week, there was no way for me to plant anything before today. The ground was completely frozen even a week ago.

The weather forecast looks very promising now, though. I planted two types of lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula and pok choy. I hope I am early enough to get a decent crops, but late enough to avoid any frost that might still follow. Luckily lettuce seeds can even germinate on ice, and most greens tolerate moderate frost reasonably well. I still have plenty of seeds to spare even if the weather gets colder again and I lose the greens I planted today. I was going to plant my radishes and peas today as well, but that will have to wait until later this coming week.

Blue, the little helper:



Spring is here, finally!


This is what I wore yesterday:




Top: Target

Second hand dress: Plato's Closet

Cardigan: Urban Outfitters

Tights: Noa Noa

Boots: John Fluevog

Second hand earrings: yard sale



edit: typos

5 comments:

Terri said...

Thumbs up on the dress! We will be planting our lettuces this week. This is the first year that we are working with raised beds, which is what it looks like you have. I fear that my husband is over-eager. Our last frost is generally April 15. When is yours?

blackdogramona said...

I love your outfits lately, they echo what you said about wearing what you love. I related to the memories of being younger and having fewer, but more beloved clothes. I am on that track, also. Blue is your color. The earrings are gorgeous!

Shey said...

What a beautiful look Waves, I love how you wore those boots with your dress. I wish you the best on planting those seeds, I wish I had the patience to plant and take good care of seeds and crops. We all have our talents huh? Those earrings are beautiful!

mirattes said...

I already did my gardening project this Sunday! So it will be a race between our plants ;)

Madeline Quaint said...

Your style is so colourful, your view of clothes is so down-to-earth, you have cats, you don't advertise but you plant things - wonderful blog.

And I must tell you I've seen signposts in the sea. I was taking a boat from Venice to Torcello, and in between some workmen were fixing the pieces of wood that denoted the "road", and there they were, the men at work signs at regular interwals, sticking out from the water... OK, not direction signposts, but still. I wish I had taken a picture.