Tuesday, 19 April 2011

New jewels, old photos

My spring cold has taken a turn for worse. Chris and I were going to visit a local antique show on Saturday, but we got lost trying to find the location and it started raining. We got completely soaked, and it didn't help my cold any. But we did eventually find the antique show. The prices at the show were pretty high in general, but I did find a couple of pieces to invest in, including this silver ring. According to the seller, it was a part of a set designed by the Finnish designer Elis Kauppi for the jewelry company Kupittaan Kulta. The ring is not signed, but that unfortunate fact was reflected in the price.


I thought this three-strand bracelet was superbly whimsical but still interesting. It is not signed, but the style and the clasp suggest that it is pretty old.



I also bought a couple of old tin photographs. I have been thinking about love and relationships recently, and I find myself drawn to pictures of couples and families. Sometimes people are brought together in strange, even inconvenient circumstances, and at times we find love in times, places and people we least expect it. This picture below was taken at the Indiana Fair in April, 1925. I love the closeness of these two individuals, and the girl's dress and her coy smile are beyond beautiful. Her side-swept hair reminds me of someone I know.


I was drawn to this photo below because of the girl with the white bow in her hair. Just look at her strappy shoes! I ended up buying the photo because of the overall dynamics, though. I love the way the photographer has worked the fence and the surrounding nature into the picture, and I think the portrait is beautifully balanced.


This one I wasn't sure of at first, because it is not a particularly happy photo. It seems that perhaps the family isn't all that wealthy, and considering how young the parents look, they might have their hands full trying to support the size of their family. I bought the picture anyway. Actually, it was the sense of seriousness that I was drawn to.



These following pieces of jewelry are not from the antique show, but from my friend Lynn's vintage jewelry stash. The micromosaic brooch and clip earrings are Italian.

Lynn re-wired these cute grape earrings.

And I can never resist a big crystal brooch.



That's it for now, folks. I hope to get well soon enough to post some outfit pictures, to visit your blogs and to write about things more substantial. Oh, and before I forget, thank you, Terri, for giving me the heads up on Wisconsin Death Trip! I found it on Amazon and ordered it. And Madeline, thanks for letting me know about the film Opium. I will try to find a way to get my hands on it!



8 comments:

Someone said...

What fun purchases. Yes, antique shows are generally pretty expensive places to find things, but their convenience and item quality can make them worth a little extra.

I used to have some grape-bunch earrings just like yours but in pearly pale pink plastic. They looked terrible on me! So I sold them at a yard sale. However, I now have some that are made from real amber; the metal in them is brass. So I think they are 1940s.

Enjoy your sparklies. :)

Gracey said...

Oh, I hope you feel better. And thank you for sharing these treasures. I love, love, love that leafy bracelet. And I love all of the photos. I hate to see them at antique malls and shows because they are someone's lost family members, but I love the way the look and you chose some fabulous ones.

Madeline Quaint said...

You're very welcome! I hope you can find it! If you have no luck, I can surely buy it here in Budapest for you. It's a very dark film though, not the one that will cheer you up on a rainy day.

The silver ring is beautiful, it's like a piece of architecture. I also love micromosaic, hope to run into jewellery like that one day!

Get better soon! :)

Teeny said...

I'm sensing that you're a bit of a magpie! I especially love the bracelet, it's amazing.

Shey said...

I hope you feel better soon! I am in love with the brooch, the last one, the colors are so vibrant, I also like your ring, although I'm not a ring ppeson myself. I like looking at old pictures online, I've seen a couple at flea markets but I've never bought one. =)

metscan said...

I remember visiting all sorts of antique shops and fairs- at your age too. I was thrilled of so many things.
Looking back at it now, yes, I could have placed my cents much more wisely. The negative side of all the collecting and buying is: What to do with all of it, when the interest dies, as it eventually does?
While your interest lasts, enjoy!

Terri said...

Your new bracelet is beautiful. I'm glad that you were able to track down that book. I once owned a copy...but it was many years ago.

Maytheweed said...

Hi There :) I've been enjoying your blog lots and have the opportunity to pass on the Versatile Blogger award and chose your blog. Sorry to do it in your comments section - I don't know how else to contact you! Details on my blog. Maythe :)