Friday, 13 May 2011

Back to good ol' basics

So that's what it feels like to not be able to access your blog for 24 hours! I sincerely hope that Blogger retrieves all the lost posts soon (I lost only one).

There isn't all that much going on in my end. I'm really getting into larger earrings again (I used to wear huge hoops all the time), and I think a lot of it has to do with my hair getting longer. For some reason big earrings just look better to me when I have more hair.


I am also obsessed with flared jeans at the moment. I used to wear flares all the time, or if not flares, at least boot-cuts. Then came the whole skinny jeans craze. For a while I resisted, then my eye got used to them, and I bought some. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. For whatever reason I felt like I really wanted a new pair of flares last year, and I found a suitable pair at Gap. It immediately hit me that flares are so much more flattering than skinnies. Ever since I have kept wearing my skinnies occasionally, but I have to say that I am starting to really feel the change these days. Flares are just more fun, relaxed, comfortable, not-trying-too-hard. For the past couple of weeks I have been thinking about my old flares, especially a great dark blue pair that had gold paint splattered all over. I bought them in Italy, back in 1999. I think I might have got rid of them some years back. Or perhaps they survived the purge for emotional reasons and are waiting for me somewhere in storage, in Finland.


I am wearing an old H&M men's t-shirt, a vest from Urban Outfitters, jeans from Gap, second hand clogs from Plato's Closet (I'll be wearing these all summer) and the earrings are from an art co-op in Owego. By the way, how wonderful is the colour of these tulips?

Our crab apple is in bloom, too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kappas vaan, on se kummaa.. Mä löysin just kahdella eurolla korkeavyötäröiset "mukavuusfarkut." Muistatkos ajan, jolloin kuljin päivät pitkät leveähkölahkeisissa, ja sitten joku mekko siinä päällä? Voi niitä aikoja, ja ne ajat näköjään palaavat ;). Lisäks ostin Fidasta neljät isot korvikset, tyyliin helmiä ja kaikkea. Ja sitten vielä mekon joka on niin ysäri-hennesiä, että morjens. Kummallisia nää tyyli-synkat! Mä en jaksa oottaa et tuut! (ja parhautta on se, et oon lomalla kaks viikkoa sillon!). Pus, sis.

Gracey said...

I'm lucky that I was sick on Wednesday and didn't post anything so I didn't lose anything, but I do feel bad for the bloggers that did. I hope they restore them.

I love your flared jeans. I suspect they might be more flattering on me as well, but I love how skinnies tuck into boots so I don't know that I'll ever give them up entirely.

Loving your earrings, your crab apple and that amazing tulip.

Rad in BK said...

You look fantastic in these jeans. I agree that flares are fun, but as some one who is now self-consciously attempting to wear only flats (so I stand more on the subway, etc.) I find wider legs harder to style. They demand a chunkier shoe, and it's hard to achieve without some height, I think. Do you have any ideas?

The Waves said...

Rad, thanks! I agree that flares look better with a little bit of a lift. These particular jeans I am wearing now are actually so long that flats would be seriously problematic. Luckily my clogs are very comfy! My other flares are shorter and I think that flats work fine with them, but I do have to be more careful with the rest of my outfit's proportions.

So far I have taken inspiration from Steven Tyler (!) for those proportion issues - he seems to be keeping his tops/shirts/jackets/coats and that all-over-layering on the longer side of things. For some reason I am kind of feeling knee-length cardigans and jackets with flares. I don't know, I am probably crazy!

One shoe that might work for comfort as well as giving a little heel is the trendy shoe of the moment, the flatform. That might work...

Shey said...

I like the 70's look on you, it looks so natural, like it's really you and not just that you are following the trend. Those clogs go really well with the outfit, I don't think I will succumb to 70's style just yet, might try a bit here and there but I don't like the way it looks on me. You look gorgeous as always.

metscan said...

I prefer classic jeans, I like them to fit quite tight and wish a medium rise. And I always wear mine cuffed. Why? Because it makes me feel comfortable.
Flared jeans. I have nothing against others wearing them, but personally a no, no for me.

Ginta said...

Flares are the best! Even in the skinny pants era I managed to sneak a pair of flares in. :) And the best part - my legs look the best in them, like 10 miles long. :)

Madeline Quaint said...

Oh, I know what you mean! I just couldn't get my head around skinnies. I remember seeing them in England for the first time and thinking who the hell would these things suit? :)
In the past few skinny-influenced years I only bought some straight trousers, skinnies already feeling restricting and uncomfortable in the dressing room. As one who doesn't like to suffer for fashion, I stick to more roomy styles...

tinyjunco said...

"For some reason big earrings just look better to me when I have more hair."

heehee - they don't get lost ;) great look, i love the crab apple blossoms.....steph

tinyjunco said...

Hi Rad! like The Waves, i often wear my boot-cuts (flare-y for me) with Dansko clogs - they have a platform of around 3/4", heel of 1 1/2" so there's plenty of height and bulk for a flare.

i have a pair of Marcelle's, between the back and the strap they aren't going anywhere and are my best walking shoes. plus, clogs are 1970's all over.....steph