Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Unexpected lengths


I am really getting into awkward skirt lengths. At first I started finding just-below-the-knees length appealing, then came mid-calf, and now the total no-no of all style gurus, just-above-the-ankle, is looking fresh to me. I bet this linen skirt is actually meant to be a maxi skirt, and when I bought it at Salvation Army this spring, I had every intention of hemming it. As I found the skirt today in my fix-up pile, I figured that I actually really like the way it looks with a bit of heel. I got the shoes at Hietsu fleamarket in Helsinki.



Come to think of it, everything I am wearing today is second hand. Yay for all-second-hand outfits! (Sorry about the wet hair, btw. I don't like blow-dryers.)


Two more things: first, really insightful and interesting comments have been coming in about cultural appropriation, so do check them out! And second, is anyone else having major trouble with Blogger not co-operating with Internet Explorer 9? I can't edit my posts at all, or even send out posts (!) with IE 9, but Firefox works fine. It seems like Blogger and IE 9 are not compatible, even though I've reset my compatibility settings.

7 comments:

Shey said...

You look beautiful Waves! You know my favorite color is orange, so yes I'm a little biased here hehe no but seriously I think the skirt is very nice, those sandals are an awesome find! I can't wait to see wait to see what else you brought back from your trip. =D
P.S. I've been checking the comments on your last post and they are definitely worth reading. =)

Gracey said...

I wonder if it's our height that makes us more willing to try awkward lengths, because I love them too. I actually just thrifted a skirt in a similar length, sadly not in a lovely orange like yours, but I think I might borrow your styling and add heels where I was thinking flats.

Btw - I hate hair dryers too. I never use them.

Teeny said...

Love it Waves. I didn't even notice the length, the outfit altogether looks great. I have to tell you the outfit i wore in my last post, where you commented you liked the jacket - made me think of you after putting it on...perhaps it was the dress length?

Carolyn said...

I thin you would look great in any skirt length! And agreed, the only time a hair-dryer comes near my hair is in the salon...

robin said...

You are right -- that skirt length does look fresh. As usual, your intuition is spot-on. Those sandals are gorgeous too!

metscan said...

The " new " length is great for a change. These days any length seems to be ok, only we all don´t seem to realize it. On the streets of Hki, I have seen more than enough bad examples. If only the young women would wear a length that fits them best. Sigh.
Hyvää Juhannusta!!!

Terri said...

I like this length on you! I like the slim lines of the skirt and it is flattering to you, especially with the interesting sandals. I find that I'll wear just about any length of skirt, except those that hit at the widest part of my calves.