Monday, 25 July 2011

My Little Friends in the Garden


It took me some time to figure out if I thought garden gnomes were tacky or adorable. I eventually went with the latter. And because no garden gnome should ever feel lonely, ours also has a friend.


My gardening project has been plagued by all sorts of difficulties this year. Spring took forever to get here, and then it rained for weeks and weeks on end. Beans didn't germinate. Lettuce was bitter. Turnips were all leaves, no root. I've had plenty of success with peas, herbs, zucchini and kale, and my tomatoes and peppers have been coming along nicely. I still feel like I am a novice in all of this, but I learned from last year and I don't take things quite as seriously anymore. What grows, great, what doesn't, oh well.

This fellow was learning to fly in our garden the other day. It was rooted steadily on our deck chair for a good while, then got on its wings, then landed on the ground clumsily. The parents were frantic as they sat on the fence, calling out to their little one: "come on, you can do it!" As I was learning about the horrible events that took place in Norway this past weekend, the sight of this small bird was all it took for me to regain my faith in the world. Life is truly amazing; so fragile, so beautiful.


I am wearing a second hand knit top and an old JC skirt. The wooden bangles are from Chris, the necklace is second hand. The shoes are by Steve Madden.

3 comments:

Gracey said...

What a wonderful post. The events in Norway weighed heavily on my heart all weekend, but I was also cheered by a bird. Well, two birds. We have a pair of hummingbirds feeding on our lucifer in our backyard and they make me smile everytime. We've added a feeder as well to care for them through the winter.

Also, I love garden gnomes. We even have little tiny ones in our indoor plants.

Anonymous said...

You have a great way of capturing nature's beauty. It is so comforting to see seedlings pop up when we just lost a few trees. It let's us know there is hope and not all in the world is lost. I hope to see you soon.

Terri said...

OUr beans never germinated either. I'm thinking that the weather makes each year of gardening distinct. I love your story about the bird.

And those shoes you are sporting looking very, very comfy.