Thursday, 4 August 2011

Pink & Orange


Today's outfit was inspired by Ariel's recent post on Rufino Tamayo. I've always loved pink and orange together, but I think this might be the first time I'm actually attempting to wear it myself.


Today was a good day. I got to spend some time with my friend Rosie: we had tea and cake at Juliet's house, and then stopped by the Salvation Army. Actually, I shouldn't say "stopped by", because we were there for at least an hour and a half. Eventually we just had to drag each other out of there. I've been listening to my mid-1990s Smashing Pumpkins albums for the last couple of days, and the Salvation Army was the perfect place to get stocked up for what looks like it's going to be a very intensely grunge-inspired fall for me. Is it really wrong to want to visit a trend one has lived through in the past? Am I just trying to come up with excuses when I say that the concept of age-appropriateness doesn't apply to grunge? (Well, who cares, really. I'm going to do it anyway!)


I'm wearing a second hand silk top, belt and linen skirt, and Trippen sandals.

12 comments:

Terri said...

the linen skirt is really fine. I'm curious to see your grunge inspired looks.

Gracey said...

I love pink and orange together and these are the perfect shades of both. You look lovely.

And like Terri, I'm curious to see your grunge inspired looks for fall.

Charlotte Holmes said...

I remember reading somewhere that if you lived through the trend the first time around, you have to do "trend lite" the second time. In my case, with grunge, I guess I'm supposed to ignore it completely, though it's one of my favorite looks.

The pink and orange are perfect colors on you!

Carolyn said...

Such a bright and cheerful look! I love neons too, must be the 80's girl in me... and I'm looking forward to your grunge chic too.

Anonymous said...

Though you look lovely in these pictures, dear, you were even more beautiful in person, *sigh*. oxox, CR

magdamagda said...

A really electric yet warm color combo, I also love it! the sandals are awesome too!

High Heels & Good Meals! said...

Beautiful color blocking! Love your shoes!

Sal said...

Oh my goodness. So much to say. The colors are marvelous together, of course, and I'm swooning over the Trippens. I've wanted a pair for AGES.

And I have never, ever bought into the "if you've worn it once" trend rule. Who made that up? Why should it matter?

Stella said...

This combo is yummy! The colors are bright and happy and remind me of fresh fruit.

And as for grunge trend: I'm curious to see how you do it!

Karima said...

bright beautiful colors together. i am obsessed with orange at the moment, this is a great combo which doesn't make either color look cheap.

Shey said...

I love this color combination Waves and all the wonderful bright outfits you've been wearing. Oh grunge, those were the days.... =D

IrishRedRose said...

Lovely, lovely combo, perfect shades of both and ideal for you. That outfit also has the long, sleek yet flowing, draping lines that (in my very humble opinion) flatter you extraordinarily well.

I am a bit older than you but that era was very meaningful to me too. I was living on my own for the first time, in my 20's, learning so much about life and really living for the first time. I was tremendously influenced by not just grunge but also that other 90s cultural wave: a sort of gentle, grounded, earth-based spirituality and mysticism.

I don't know what it was about the 90s, but to me now, it feels like the last time much of the world was really happy in any general sense. Maybe I'm putting too much weight on 9/11, but the 90s now seems to me like the calm before the terrible storm of unease and anger and fear that just goes on and on.

You're a very gifted writer and this was a particularly touching and evocative entry for me. I love your blog. :-)