Friday, 27 January 2012

Boy oh boy

Since fashion magazines everywhere are raving about feminine pastels, 1950s and 1960s housewife looks, lace and peplums, I figured that it was a good time to get inspired by menswear.

Chris and I went to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy yesterday, and the entire cast's wardrobe is to die for. I got to thinking about buying a men's suit. I have been drawn to menswear for as long as I can remember. I have been buying sweaters and t-shirts at men's clothing stores for years - mostly because of fit and sleeve lengths - but there is also something that screams longevity in men's clothing. It seems to me that menswear is less fickle, less trend-driven. The clothes look like they are made to last for several seasons. There's no denying that I like to play with womenswear - I love to wear easy dresses and skirts - but there is an undercurrent in my sense of style that longs for Margaret Howell's menswear-inspired designs, nice tailoring, brogues, narrow ties and crisp shirts.

I'm considering investing in a pair of black men's boots. Nothing too rough, but something sort of sophisticated, like the pair above.

I am also drawn to narrow trousers. I still love flares, but there is something quietly cool about tailored straight-leg trousers.

Also, sign me up for pretty oxfords paired with awesome socks.

Pictures from Jak & Jill and The Sartorialist

13 comments:

Sunjo said...

I love the socks and oxfords look, I'd totally do that with a dress, ha. I feel like the menswear stuff looks really nice especially on taller ladies. I unfortunately don't have any height going for me. It's funny seeing all the 50's and 60's stuff getting trendy, I've been collecting it forever and all of a sudden I'm in when before I was just a little weird ;)

Anonymous said...

Juu, tämä on ehdottomasti jotain joka on ain sopinu sulle...tykkään kovasti. Näytin samoi kuvia t:lle aiemmin mm.sartorialistista, ja käytiin ihan samantapanen keskustelu miesten pukeutumiseen liittyen...
ja asiasta kukkaruukkuun, ja tyttöjen juttuihin (jotka myös on hyviä ;), etsyssä on edelleen se eräs mekko, nyt alessa... Mitäs jos vaan anna palaa frank, ja otetaa riski sen mittojen kaa...Pus, sis.

Anonymous said...

Kuulkaas sisaret!
Mitä miesten pukuihin tulee..Täytyy muistaa se tärkein. Housut henkseleillä mahdollisimman korkealle ja elintasovatsa vapaaksi vyön puristuksesta!
Liiveillä voi peittää helposti jäljelle jäävät pursuavat lihat.
Lisäksi on syytä muistaa paksujen villakangaspukujen ikuinen ongelma, Marlon Brandollekkin tulisi kuuma. Mutta kaikkia hikoilevia porvarisikoja lohduttanee tässäkin asiassa liivi. Liivi yllä voi takin jättää auki...jolloinka takin povitaskuihin voi helposti ja huomaamatta laittaa useammankin vetoisan taskumatin....."Mutta rakas veljeni, eikö kunnon viskitujauksella ole tapana iskeä hikikarpaloa otsaasi?" kysynee Alppiharjulainen täti-ihminen? ...no tottahan toki.. Mutta voit olla varma, etten siitä siinä vaiheessa välitä. Ja itsekin tulet huomaamaan kuinka hien, acqua di parman ja vanhan viinan muodostama suloinen tuoksuyhdistelmä saa maailman kaikki sisaret(2kpl) toteamaan "Oi veljeni, Julion ja Morris-kissan(ei verisukua) eno. Emme epäkunnoita Nina Hagenia ja haluaisimme kovasti kunnollisia blinejäsi ja kerrankin nostaisimme maljamme vodkalla, eikä vain shampanskojella!"

Me vannomme!

-Keisarinna Katerina III:n holhoaja

The Waves said...

The comment box was taken over by my siblings. Senkin hullut ihanat rakkaat!

Terri said...

I would love to see you in a full men's suit! One of the women featured regularly at Advanced Styles wears them but always sports interesting jewelry on the lapels.

Carolyn said...

I think you are right on the ball with these predictions. I fell in love with the Celine collection, very minimal, sharp, and now I think of it, quite masculine too!

Shey said...

I love menswear too, when I was in middle school I used to love men's shoes, in my opinion, men's shoes where the best, to this day I believe that men's tennis shoes are way better than women's, the colors and styles are more appealing to me. I think you'd look great with a pair of black boots like the ones in the picture. =)

Teeny said...

you know what? i think i like the beatnik look - 60s but dark....The 1950s/60s housewife pastel thing has been getting done on the internets for the last few years - before it became "in". I like the dudes looks you're showing here. Thanks Waves.

jesse.anne.o said...

I am envious of folks who can pull off this style - I am too short and curvy to have male-intended pants fit correctly.

It is one of my favorite styles that I feel I miss out on.

metscan said...

Women wearing men´s clothes, or clothes styled like men´s clothes?
For me, definitely a no, no.
I see this thing coming up and going down from time to time.

Madeline Quaint said...

Since I've seen the new Sherlock Holmes movies, I'm obsessed with turn-of-the-century menswear... Luxurious layers, lovely shirts, steampunk-type details... The stylist of those movies is a genious. :)

Eyeliah said...

In 2008 I was very into mens fashions. I wore mens loafers are tailored dress pants. It suited my office life at the time. I definitely liked the juxtaposition of mens clothing on my curves.

Christina said...

I'm totally inspired by Burberry and Hermes collection for men. It's so unique and adorable.

Christina @ Mens Watches