Thursday, 12 January 2012

The Waves Returns


Hello, all! It's been a while!

I've been trying to figure out for a while now how to get the blog running again. I've written a post here, a post there, but when it came to publishing them, I x'd out. For whatever reason it has been challenging to write the first post; I've gone back and forth between just jumping into random topics on the one hand, and trying to write some sort of a summary of the blogging break and the viewpoints and thoughts that have emerged from that break on the other. In the end I decided to just let it all come out naturally, at its own pace. I guess that means that this post isn't about anything specific, and I'm just going to go ahead and write!


I'll say a thing or two about the blogging break. Firstly, it was a good idea. Secondly, the reasons for it were sort of complicated. At the time I told you that I was working on "more serious writing", but now in hindsight I don't think it was really about that at all. You know how sometimes when one is immersed in a particular mode of action, one becomes a little blind to what's going on around them? Or it just becomes tricky to keep track of one's own thought process? The week before I decided to take a break, my brother asked me, out of nowhere, why I had a blog. I knew that I had started blogging because I was trying to make sense of my bulging closet, and I kept going to keep track of that very same closet and to share my thoughts on style issues with like-minded people. But somehow I knew that it wasn't an adequate enough answer.

It had been obvious for a long time that I was interested in questions of sustainability and fashion ethics, but despite numerous blog posts on the those topics, I felt like my own personal process regarding those issues wasn't really going anywhere. I still desired new clothes, I bought clothes (an awful lot of clothes, even if they were second hand), and it was starting to feel like blogging was just a way of clinging into the back-and-forth battle between myself and consumerism. Blogging gave me the avenue to express my confusion about consumerism, but also to feel good about buying stuff. There was a disconnect there. I could not stop thinking about the connection between blogging and shopping. That's why I needed a break. I needed to figure out where all of this was going.


So what has changed in the time I was away? Well, a lot and nothing. I still struggle with my more serious writing, and I still ask myself an awful lot of questions regarding consumerism. For one thing, I managed to keep track of every piece of clothing I bought and every cent I spent on clothing in 2011, and the analysis of those facts and figures has been eye-opening. I hope to share some of that stuff with you once I get around to writing a coherent post about it. I've also made new resolutions regarding spending and buying, and so far it has been going well. That's another topic for a post of its own. I've kept doing research on fashion ethics. (Oh, yeah, and I did have half of my hair shaved off.)

So the question is, then, why did I want to get back into blogging now? Aside from the obvious, such as me missing the interaction with all of you, I feel like I have a better understanding regarding what this blog should be about, even if it's just in my own head. I will write about the same stuff I always write about, and there will be pictures of cats as usual, and there will be that same battle between superficiality and depth, between blind idolation and harsh criticism. So in a way, nothing has changed at all. Somehow though, I feel like I have a new sense of clarity about the way I approach the questions that trouble me. You know how much I love throwing random questions out there, and this time around I hope to tackle the questions rather than just ask them out loud. And yes, sometimes it is enough to ask a question, but other times an answer is needed. It's time for answers. I hope that you will stick around.

13 comments:

coffeeaddict said...

Welcome back!
I've missed your posts and frankly I was afraid you wouldn't be returning to the blogosphere.

Robin said...

Oh, Waves! I am so, so, so happy you are back! In fact I was thinking about you when I wrote my most recent blog post this morning, and thinking about how much more eloquent, well-researched, and thoughtful you would have put it all.

Thank you for coming back. It's better with you around. Seriously. And I mean that is a not-creepy, not-stalkery way at all, I promise.

Eyeliah said...

Yay! Welcome back, it hasn't been the same without you. I can relate, I am a much better blogger these days now that my job is more steady/figured out I can give some time to the site without feeling guilty about ignoring my responsibilities in the real world. Wow, you kept track of 2011 spending, dying to read that post (it seemed like you bought lots of clothes last year....). :)

Teeny said...

Welcome back! I've been toying with the idea of shaving a side of my hair off...but my hair is curly. I look forward to your new posts. serious or otherwise.

blackdogramona said...

Thanks for returning - I have missed you a lot and am looking forward to your always analytical and thought-provoking posts. Not to mention kind, warm and and smile-inducing. Nice hair, girlfriend!

Shey said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're back, just the other day I was looking through your flickr outfits, I'm so glad this break has done you well, you were truly missed!

Carolyn said...

Welcome back! I've missed your posts too... and I hope you can write about whatever you feel comfortable with. I like the way you tackle the topics head-on and think them through.
I guess our blogs are a journey, much like our lives, and they change and grow and develop as our own lives change directions and our interests change.. that's only natural.

Eline said...

Yay so happy you're back! I thought you were gone for good when I saw you'd made your blog private for a while!

I've recently been setting challenges for myself re: consumerism. The other month I'd promised instead of buying new things (like always second hand but still the urge of Wanting Things irks me) I would alter some things that I'd never wore but hadn't gotten rid of somehow and it was very enlightening. I think I'll challenge myself next to wear old favourite clothes for a whole month next.

Cynthia said...

Good to see you back! And I think it's really OK to just have a blog because you like to have a way of "chatting" with other people who are interested in the same stuff.

Milla said...

Yippee! You're back! I'm so so stoked! I've missed your blog quite a bit. You're so grounded and always have something interesting to say.

Terri said...

I tracked my expenses for most of 2011 and I look forward to your post on that.

vasiliisa said...

Welcome back! Since I started a new job (and a new type of work) I don't read much blogs, or take outfit photos myself. But I do like to drop by your blog once in a while!

jesse.anne.o said...

Welcome back! Very happy to see you here again.