Friday, 20 January 2012

The Word for the Weekend: Comfort

"It is perfectly astounding how fashion has knocked out the brains of people in regard to dress. When we consider that there is not anything in the world so comfortable as comfort, is it not surprising that men and women will attire themselves with little or no regard to comfort during their conscious hours? Only when about to get to bed, and enter upon a season of obliviousness to all earthly woes, do they put on garments that admit of a fair degree of physical happiness: and how many fashionable women rush frantically to their chambers when they escape from society at the close of day, to relieve themselves of their uncomfortable costumes. If 'the man in the moon' should be permitted to descend to this planet, entirely ignorant of the follies of the people of earth, it would be hard to make him believe that these discomforts were self-inflicted."

E. B. Foote, M.D. in "Health and Disease", 1900 edition.

7 comments:

Sunjo said...

Nice! Exactly why I hardly ever wear shoes anyone over two inches tall ;)

Anonymous said...

Great quote! I've been thinking of the same thing a lot before and still am clueless why people agree to all the discomforting clothes and shoes. As if they enjoy the pain so much...
Helena

Carolyn said...

Yes... there is an art to combining comfort and elegance though. It's dreary seeing women who go about their entire lives in elastic waisted yoga pants and trainers, or jeans that may well have been lovely 12 years ago, sacrificing chic on the altar of comfort.
There's a time and a place, the little cocktail number and glittery sandals that wow everyone at a formal party is likewise not what one is going to wear when shopping for groceries!

Gray Skies said...

This is definitely my new favorite fashion-related quote! I will admit that I'm one of those people that goes for fashion over comfort :) But I'm never wearing my crazy uncomfortable clothes for every waking hour - I wear my interesting outfits when I go out places, and then when I get home I put on sweatpants!

Milla said...

Hei Tiia, I'm sans computer right now, so I haven't had much opportunity to immerse myself in your many wise words, but I just wanted to stop in and reiterate how happy I am to see you back here.

Ginta said...

I wish I could say I choose comfort over fashion but, unfortunately, not always. But I've noticed that getting older has helped my senses and I've become more practical than couple of years ago.
This quote also proves that people have had and always will have the same problems and the same contemplations.

jesse.anne.o said...

I think I'm most bummed when I pick something to purchase because I think it will be comfortable and it's not.

This also goes along with the whole "uniform dress" thing - why spend so much extra time on picking things out if I can have a formula and look suitable and feel comfortable all the time? It saves time and insecurities.

That's my ultimate goall - but building the steps to get there isn't as clear of a pathway as I thought.