Tuesday, 10 July 2012

EBEW: Color blocking


I haven't taken part in Everybody, Everywear challenges in ages, but I happened to notice the colour blocking one just in time. I was going to add one more colour (big green necklace) but then decided against it. I'm wearing all second hand: the blue silk top is an old thrift store treasure, the cotton/linen blend skirt is from a vintage shop in Helsinki, and the Tod's loafers are from Etsy.


There are times when I feel like I should iron my clothes more often - today, however, is not one of those days. For the most part wrinkles don't really bother me. Sometimes I even feel that lived-in-looking clothes are just more "me". (I also hate ironing, so I might just be making excuses.)


Chris and I are getting ready for the movers to come pack our things next week. It's a little crazy at our house - piles of stuff everywhere, and everything has to be cataloged, which is rather challenging. The clothing inventory, of course, is of particular interest to me. Despite my tremendous culling efforts, I still have a lot of clothes to ship to Finland. I am trying to be sensible about culling at this point, though. A part of me wants to get rid of everything, but I also realize that a couple of extra dresses or sweaters are not really going to make a difference in how much we pay for the shipment, and that there is no point in getting rid of clothes I wear a lot. The last thing I want to do is to start shopping for new clothes as soon as we have moved! 

I am currently trying to figure out what to leave here for the weeks before Chris and I actually move, and for the time period before our stuff arrives in Finland. (The moving company says it might take anywhere from six weeks to three months.) I'll be living with a relatively small selection of clothes for the next coming weeks (or months) - one big suitcase of clothes, including shoes and accessories. I might write a post about that once I figure out what to cull, what to ship and what to hold onto.

8 comments:

Faith - Sweetened Style said...

I love that full skirt, it's so flattering!

Andi said...

I think the simple look is great! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates to iron!

Shey said...

I really like this color blocking combination Waves, and the skirt looks beautiful on you. I hate to iron but I like ironed clothes better than non-ironed, it just helps the garment fall on your body much better, I still skip ironing most times if I can help it. =)

Rachel Kaylynn said...

I am in love with your skirt - amazing cut, amazing color. I also agree with you about wrinkles - ironing it way overrated.

Terri said...

I would love to read a post about what you wear while transitioning during that 6 weeks to 3 months. I love the bold color in this look--especially the cut of the skirt!

Carolyn said...

This outfit is lovely, and those soft full layers accentuate your tiny waist perfectly!
Good luck with your move, and I am looking forward to seeing your capsule selection...

Franca said...

That's a long time for the moving! Good luck with your wardrobe capsule.

the Queen City Style said...

Hello! I am visiting via EBEW. I love this outfit. I love the color combo and the fact that it is a mixture of vintage eclectic and high end, albeit purchased second hand. That is my favorite thing about fashion... you can mix and match to create your own unique look, which you really have done here.
Best, Whitley at the Queen City Style